Multi monitor setup

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Nachricht
Autor
ut438

Multi monitor setup

#1 Beitrag von ut438 »

Hello everyone.
I just bought zusi 3 and I have the idea to make a modern driving desk with 3 monitors plus the main one for the front view.
I have an i7 computer with a gtx970 graphics card, which has a hdmi input that I use for the main monitor, and 3 displayport inputs that, if possible, I would use for these 3 auxiliary monitors.
I am no expert with computer subjects, so I wanted to ask if someone know how to orient me a bit. What would I need to be able to connect these 3 auxiliary monitors to my computer and this be able for zusi? I have read that it is possible to connect them by usb, but I do not know if it will be compatible with zusi.
I also read that some of you have used two computers to use the auxiliary monitors and use them with zusi display, but that I have no idea how. Could you give me some guidance, please?
Thank you very much.
Regards
Zuletzt geändert von ut438 am 06.06.2018 13:46:48, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

jonathanp
Aktuelle Projekte: http://www.zusidatenbank.de/

Re: Multi monitor setup

#2 Beitrag von jonathanp »

All of your suggestions should be feasible.

The simplest and cheapest option of course is just to connect them all to your current PC and graphics card via the DisplayPort, providing you can find monitors that support this input type. You just need a DisplayPort cable.

Running ZusiDisplay doesn't require much graphics power, so connection via USB should work OK as well, but possibly there might be too much load on the PC if you have three monitors running like this. Probably someone on the forum has more experience with this.

As for using a seperate PC, ZusiDisplay connects to Zusi over a network, so it easy to run it on a seperate PC and connect the monitors there, and I think this is the way most people go because it reduces the load on the main computer running Zusi(also some people use combined screen/PC units like the FayTech touchPC). Of course you have to enter a couple of settings for this to work, but for now all you need to know is that the auxiliary computer needs to be connected to the same network as the main Zusi computer, either via a wired or wireless connection.

Hope this helps!
Zuletzt geändert von jonathanp am 06.06.2018 13:58:40, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.
Autor - Zusi 3 C++ Client, zusidatenbank.de - Das Zusi3 Addon-Datenbank

F. Schn.

#3 Beitrag von F. Schn. »

If you have the choice between connecting by USB and connecting to you graphic card (and in this case you have this choice): prefer connecting to the graphic card.

If the displays have a DisplayPort (DP) input, you should be able to connect them. But usually they stil don't have one, so you need a DP to HDMI adapter.

Usullay the number of DVI outputs, HDMI outputs and DP outputs with an unpowered DP to HDMI adapter must not increase two. So you may need a powered DP to HDMI adapter for the 3rd monitor. But this are difficult details so I'm not sure if this is stil the case with this graphic card.

If you want the extra monitors only for ZusiDisplay, you can use extra computers instead. If a ZusiDisplay remains at the first computer simply start ZusiDisplay at the second computer after you have started it at the first computer. In most cases it will work out of the box. If not or in other cases please ask.
Zuletzt geändert von F. Schn. am 06.06.2018 14:18:02, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Diese Signatur möchte folgendes bekannter machen: ZusiWiki · ZusiSK: Streckenprojekte · YouTube: Objektbau für Zusi · euirc: Zusi-Chat

ut438

#4 Beitrag von ut438 »

Thank you very much for your responses.
I understand that the best option is to use zusidisplay from a second networked computer that controls the 3 auxiliary monitors. Although I think it will be a more complex installation, I'll see how I develop with it.

If you do not advise me otherwise, would it seem right to try to use the 3 DP inputs of the card with adapters to a hdmi?
Would there be any important difference to doing with a networked computer?

Thank you very much for hour help!

jonathanp

#5 Beitrag von jonathanp »

Sure, you just have to be bit careful with the conversion.

Some DisplayPort outputs have the ability to transmit a HDMI signal instead if the connected device requests it. This is called DisplayPort++. Consequently, some DisplayPort->HDMI adapters are actually just a cable with two different connectors('passive' adapters), and won't work without DisplayPort++ support.

Other, more expensive, 'active' adapters actually convert the signal themselves and will work with any DisplayPort output.

So try to check if your DisplayPort outputs supports DP++, and then buy the right type of adapter.
Zuletzt geändert von jonathanp am 06.06.2018 16:16:52, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

F. Schn.

#6 Beitrag von F. Schn. »

ut438 hat geschrieben:I understand that the best option is to use zusidisplay from a second networked computer that controls the 3 auxiliary monitors.
I would not say so. If you have already two or 3 network computers with monitors on standby you can use them at once by just starting ZusiDisplay on them. In all other cases I suggest to plug the extra monitors into you first computer with the GTX970 graphic card.
jonathanp hat geschrieben:DisplayPort++.
Not realy... I'd rather say that it was often not labeled at all but it worked... The NVIDA Hompage is absolutly garbage so I can't say if this applys to GTX970.
Diese Signatur möchte folgendes bekannter machen: ZusiWiki · ZusiSK: Streckenprojekte · YouTube: Objektbau für Zusi · euirc: Zusi-Chat

ut438

#7 Beitrag von ut438 »

In that case I will try to connect everything first to the main computer, since at the moment I do not have any network installed. If I see that the process is heavy for the computer, I will put a second computer on the network. Surely you will have to put up with more questions ...

Thank you very much for your help!

ut438

#8 Beitrag von ut438 »

Hello again.
I'm still waiting for the full version of Zusi 3 to arrive, and in the meantime I've had a couple more questions about the monitors, since I'm starting to buy material to build the desk.
First of all, I wanted to ask you if you know if any type of touchmonitor is valid for use with zusidisplay (and therefore on the pc).
I have not found too many stores that sell small touch monitors of 12 "(4: 3). On AliExpress I have found these (https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Open-Fra ... 39.99734.0" target="_blank), but I did not dare to buy the 3 I need to know if they are going to use me for This purpose, could I ask you for help again to guide me in this aspect, before spending close to 400 euros without getting the expected result?
Second (and even at the risk that the question is stupid) I wanted to ask if to use all the monitors (the front view and the 3 of zusidisplay) is necessary to change the configuration of my pc and enable all monitors, or on the contrary zusidisplay recognizes them and configures the distribution of information as configured. I do not know if I'm explaining myself well...
Thank you very much, without your help I do not know if my project would move forward!

jonathanp

#9 Beitrag von jonathanp »

ZusiDisplay does not know anything about touch monitors. Any monitor that sends a mouse click when you touch the screen will work. That one looks like it has a USB port so it should be OK, but it's hard to tell with these chinese things ;)

I understand that you are very excited about your project, but I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself in asking how to configure monitors you have not ordered yet so you can use them with a program you have not received yet. Get used to using Zusi, then ZusiDisplay, explore the different options available, and then it should be clear to you by yourself the options you have for setting it up.

Most likely the monitors will work as soon as they are plugged in. If they do not, write about the problems you have and then people can try and help you. In ZusiDisplay you can then configure on which monitor each in-cab display will be shown. Again, I think it it will be more productive if you look at this for yourself and then ask if you do not understand it.
Zuletzt geändert von jonathanp am 07.06.2018 20:14:28, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.

ut438

#10 Beitrag von ut438 »

Certainly maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. But as you say I'm excited to make my own desk, since I've been delighted with the tests I've done with the demo, so I'm starting to buy material, but when it comes to computer products, I think you're right that I should first try the options and flip in the simulator and then ask.
I'm sorry to have moved on.
Thank you very much for the help

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator

#11 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

We are using faytech touch pC and monitors for our projects.

https://www.faytech.com/start/" target="_blank

Carsten
Zuletzt geändert von Carsten Hölscher am 07.06.2018 22:04:41, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

ut438

#12 Beitrag von ut438 »

Thank you very much for the information.
I will look to see where I can find them best price.
I guess the size of the monitor will depend on the desk of each one, but ... I think 12 "would be fine.
What do you have?

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator

#13 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

Lucian Berndt

#14 Beitrag von Lucian Berndt »

Moin,

Auf der verlinkten Seite ist ein klitzekleiner Rechtschreibfehler :)

"[...]Ein Führerstandsnachbau samt komplettem Zubehör (TV, PCs, Sitz etc.) kann problemlos ein mehrere Einzelteile zerlegt werden,[...]"

Statt EIN gehört da wohl IN rein

Lg Lucian

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Axel Hölscher

#15 Beitrag von Axel Hölscher »

Lucian Berndt hat geschrieben:Auf der verlinkten Seite ist ein klitzekleiner Rechtschreibfehler :)
:tup
Viele Grüße

Axel

ut438

#16 Beitrag von ut438 »

Hi.
Today I received Zusi 3 and I am having difficulties since the whole menu is in German. Between that and that I am not familiar with the menu ... I marked the option to install in English but everything appears in German, and with this linguistic barrier it is costing me horrors to find the option to change the language and start looking at options of the simulator .
Can someone pass me the route, please?
:O
Zuletzt geändert von ut438 am 08.06.2018 14:23:33, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator

#17 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

Start the ZusiDateiverwaltung and select English in "Einstellungen".

Carsten

ut438

#18 Beitrag von ut438 »

Thank you very much, Carlsten. Solved.
Is there a manual to understand how zusi works? For example there are many of the locomotives that appear listed as driveables, which I can not find to be able to drive them.
It is clear that I am still not understanding the interface of zusi.
I do not know if there is any manual in English to be able to learn.

jonathanp

#19 Beitrag von jonathanp »

The manual, unfortunately, is only available in German, but you can find a link to it in the start menu.

There are about 5000 trains in the current dataset, so it can be tricky to find one with the locomotive you want to drive. As the obligatory bit of self-promotion ;), if you go to http://www.zusidatenbank.de/" target="_blank, find the field labelled "Baureihe" in the form on the right hand side and select the type of locomotive you want to drive, and click "Suche", then you will get a list of all drivable trains with that locomotive.
Then you can either load the timetable and find the train in it, or even just find the .trn file in your Zusi3 directory(the path is at the top of the page) and double click it.

You will probably notice that for some locomotives, there are no trains at all. Since the Zusi content is the combined effort of a many community members who partly work on the things that they personally are interested in, not everything is "joined up". So, for instance, there are some drivable Austrian locomotives that are not used in any timetable, because Zusi currently has no Austrian routes. However, it is quite simple to change the locomotive in an existing train using the timetable editor.

Hope this helps!
Zuletzt geändert von jonathanp am 08.06.2018 16:04:32, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

ut438

#20 Beitrag von ut438 »

Of course it helps me! I did not know about the existence of this page, nor that the services were done altruistically by community participants. As I said, I'm completely new here. Thanks for informing me.
I used the search engine to search, for example, a BR146 and I found an activity that I would like to try. As you say, at the top of the page appears the route to find the schedule, but I can not find the folder of the route (celle_uelzen) in my zusi directory. I do not know if maybe I still have something to update, or I'm not doing something right.
Thanks for the help!

Antworten