Available ZUSI 3 Full 800+ page Manual PDF - English

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
Mughug

Available ZUSI 3 Full 800+ page Manual PDF - English

#1 Beitrag von Mughug »

I have created an English translation of the full 800+ page German ZUSI 3 manual using 'Machine Translation by Google' for my own use.

Without proofreading every single page it does seem to have been a decent conversion that will be useful.

As long as there are no issues from AeroSoft or Zusi Bahnsimulatoren, I could make it available for the English-speaking community.

Can anyone help with maybe contacting the correct people to get this cleared?

BenniS.
Aktuelle Projekte: Fahrpultbau

Re: Available ZUSI 3 Full 800+ page Manual PDF - English

#2 Beitrag von BenniS. »

I'm pretty sure Carsten (Creator of Zusi) will read this shortly and tells you how to proceed.
Just hang on for a bit.
beste Grüße
Benni

Eisenbahnerfan

#3 Beitrag von Eisenbahnerfan »

Mughug hat geschrieben: 23.10.2023 17:33:11 I have created an English translation of the full 800+ page German ZUSI 3 manual using 'Machine Translation by Google' for my own use.

Without proofreading every single page it does seem to have been a decent conversion that will be useful.

As long as there are no issues from AeroSoft or Zusi Bahnsimulatoren, I could make it available for the English-speaking community.

Can anyone help with maybe contacting the correct people to get this cleared?
Wow that is a lot of work and really hard to translate more than 800 pages from german in to another language.

I also think Carsten Hölscher will read that.

I wish you good luck :)

Kind regards

Eisenbahnerfan

F. Schn.

#4 Beitrag von F. Schn. »

@Benni and Eisenbahnfan:

I'm a little puzzled why you write answers with just "please wait" within this short period of time. And twice!

@Mughug:
It's not the problem to do this in the first place. And it's not the case, that Carsten does not know, that this is technically possible. The problem is, that there are legal issues that must be taken into account, especially with google. So it likely might be not allowed to deliver such a tranlation. So it's possile, that Carsten must reject this suggestion.

There are two other issues, that must be noticed: a) While translating normal text is usually no problem, translators have usually problems with technical terms; and they have heavy problems in keeping technical terms consistent, especially (but not only) when not knowing the first translated half.
b) While the docu is indeed 863 pages long, only 176 pages are for the user and the rest 687 are for contributors. Which are exactly the ones that are already translated. (Minus language length differences.) So the demand to translate the rest is limited.
Diese Signatur möchte folgendes bekannter machen: ZusiWiki · ZusiSK: Streckenprojekte · YouTube: Objektbau für Zusi · euirc: Zusi-Chat

BenniS.
Aktuelle Projekte: Fahrpultbau

#5 Beitrag von BenniS. »

@FSchn
Dunno whats the issue here. I just pointed out that it's best to wait until Carsten stumbles across this topic, instead of writing to him directly, since he asked exactly that.
beste Grüße
Benni

Mughug

#6 Beitrag von Mughug »

The motive here was to offer a translation of the full German manual (Hobby, not Professional), as I have seen that many on the Internet have commented that it would be nice to have. My impression is also that it would drop some barriers to potential customers who wish to delve deeper than the basic Engine manual. Having such a translation for personal use, I felt it would be decent to offer it to the community, working on the basic legal premise (pretty much the position of Google) of:

'Only the copyright owner can authorize a translation that will be distributed. This includes works that are translated into another language and distributed in parts of the world where that language is spoken.'

The document creation was via:

Firstly, setting aside a good half hour to do the task.
1 - Splitting, for free (https://www.ilovepdf.com/split_pdf) the original German document (Hobby, not Professional) into equal parts where none were greater than 10Mb each.
2 - Translate each part from German to English using 'https://translate.google.com/' for free as the size limit of each file must be less than 10 MB.
3 - Merging all the translated parts in order to produce a complete English version of the full manual (Hobby, not Professional).
4 - A basic scanning of the finished document to find any major issues from the whole process.

The translation is by 'Google Machine Translation', so it is not perfect but at least for me it is a lifesaver. Apart from the translation by Google, there was no editing of the contents.

This is why I posted here, to seek such authorization (if possible) to distribute it freely to owners of ZUSI 3 to avoid any issues. :)

On a side note, when I attempted to see how much it would cost to translate the document (Hobby, not Professional) as one file, I saw estimates ranging from $1 (0.94 Euro) per page to $1200+ (1124 Euro) :hat2
Zuletzt geändert von Mughug am 24.10.2023 00:17:58, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator

#7 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

"F.Schn" described the situation quite well.

Carsten

SevenThunders

#8 Beitrag von SevenThunders »

Hopefully this will be released, it will definitely be useful to people trying to get into Zusi who do not fully understand the German language :tup

F. Schn.

#9 Beitrag von F. Schn. »

Again: No. People, that do not plan to contribute don't have advantages.
Diese Signatur möchte folgendes bekannter machen: ZusiWiki · ZusiSK: Streckenprojekte · YouTube: Objektbau für Zusi · euirc: Zusi-Chat

Antworten