Accelerating and decelerating best practices

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
haeriphos

Accelerating and decelerating best practices

#1 Beitrag von haeriphos »

Greetings,

I am (again) coming back to try and learn Zusi and am feeling more comfortable driving the Talent 2 (442). I've been running several of the routes and rarely trigger train protection these days, but I'm struggling with how to be a "good" driver. I'm looking for some general guidance on how to accelerate out of, and decelerate into, stations.

I started by accelerating out at 50% power and then quickly increasing to full power. Deceleration would be similar, starting around 800 m - 1000 m depending on speed (which was usually pretty brisk). I then watched the autopilot drive for a bit and noticed they rarely accelerated beyond 40% power, which seems like it would be much gentler on my passengers' necks, and started decelerating at least 1300 m before the station. For whatever reason, the 442 doesn't show the autopilot applying dynamic brake -- it just looks like they start coasting from ~1300 m out of the station and it gradually slows down. I wasn't able to replicate this while driving manually so I'm assuming the autopilot is actively decelerating but it's not visible on the instruments in the cab for some reason.

So, while I'm looking to become a better 442 driver specifically, I'm really interested in a general approach to accelerating and decelerating a modern passenger train.

Thank you!

HaraldB

Re: Accelerating and decelerating best practices

#2 Beitrag von HaraldB »

Autopilot is "cheating" - it doesn't use regular controls. It internally applies a force/acceleration defined in the train's timetable; or ±0.5 m/s², otherwise.
For acceleration, observe slip and transmission indications, otherwise, accelerate steadily, or, as they often do in real, "pedal to the metal".
For stopping, many theories and approaches are being pondered. Watch real live and simulation videos on YT or search for discussions like viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18114 in this forum.
There's a link to Alwin's YT videos about Breaking, too. Not sure an English transcript already exists.
Avoid acceleration below -0.7 m/s² if you're after evaluation points.

Jan

#3 Beitrag von Jan »

HaraldB hat geschrieben: 02.06.2023 10:17:08 Avoid acceleration below -0.7 m/s² if you're after evaluation points.
Though that might be a bit difficult with tight timetables – the main thing is avoiding too big a jerk as the train comes to a halt. With MU trains that's probably not too difficult, with loco-hauled trains it's probably a bit more of an art learning when exactly to release the brakes again – not too late, but not too early either.

HaraldB

#4 Beitrag von HaraldB »

Ok, 442 is equipped with a computer-controlled break, so don't apply the indirect break. It is mainly for emergency (as when the unit has switched off power).
The computer-break will apply a combination of dynamic and indirect breaking corresponding to the breaking power level you chose and the current speed of the unit. It is quite easy to use in comparison to steam or diesel engines.

In Zusi, what I learned is, you should be fine if your speed is below 100 km/h approx. 1 km before your next stop, below 50 when you reach the beginning of the platform (40, if they're short), then 40-30 at the middle, while gradually taking back the breaking level, so you can almost release just when you stop at the "H" (or the end of the platform). Don't forget to hit the space bar (SIFA) and toggle the appropriate door side.
If all that works for you, try to be bolder with the speeds to reduce your delays.

Your results may vary. Don't do this with real trains.

haeriphos

#5 Beitrag von haeriphos »

Thanks, I'll give some of this a try and see how it goes!

Antworten