Braking in the 245

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
VMPP

Braking in the 245

#1 Beitrag von VMPP »

Hi

What is the correct way to brake the 245?
For what i've seen, the brake has 3 positions.
0-being the spring loaded release
1-release
2-hold
3-brake

However, when I try to use the brake, the behaviour is super strange.
Clicking the + key, 1st click, nothing happens, 2nd click, same, nothing happens. Then at the 3rd click, pressure starts dropping from 5bar. However, returning the handle to the previous position does not hold the value. At that position, the value returns slowly to 5 bar.
What that means is that, to get any sort of braking, then I have to be pumping it back and forth to hold the value.
Another strange thing, is that the brake pipe pressure flies up to 5 bar and it's moving up and down all over the place while i'm using the brake.

On my view, It should be, at the 3rd position, let the pressure drop to set the value, 4.1; 4.5; or whatever I desire, then click the - sign to have it on the hold position and keep that value. Then use the - or + to regulate the pressure value.
As it is, I keep on getting ''hard stops'' or overshooting the signals... :wand

Am I doing something wrong or is it a known bug?

HarMol00

Re: Braking in the 245

#2 Beitrag von HarMol00 »

The brake has 6 positions:
  1. > 5 bar
  2. 5 bar (default)
  3. B-
  4. const
  5. B+
  6. SOS
You can see that quite easily by watching the lever in the cab when pressing + or -. However, the behaviour is a bit strange - especially when switching from B+ or B- to const. There seems to be a lot of inertia involved :)

Regards
Harald

VMPP

#3 Beitrag von VMPP »

I'm sorry, but I dont see it like that.
I'm missing one of the postitions you mentioned.

I have the
> 5 bar - ok
5 bar (default) - ok

but then I only count 3 positions and not 4.
So i'm either missing the b+ b- or the SOS or the const.
I have no idea why... :dösen

HarMol00 hat geschrieben: 03.06.2021 13:40:14 The brake has 6 positions:
  1. > 5 bar
  2. 5 bar (default)
  3. B-
  4. const
  5. B+
  6. SOS
You can see that quite easily by watching the lever in the cab when pressing + or -. However, the behaviour is a bit strange - especially when switching from B+ or B- to const. There seems to be a lot of inertia involved :)

Regards
Harald

nzscion

#4 Beitrag von nzscion »

HarMoi00 is correct.

- > 5 bar
- 5 bar (default)
- B-
- const
- B+
- SOS

To get to "> 5 bar", you need to hold down your brake release key from "5 bar". The lever will go back to "5 bar" (default) when you release the key. I only use this function when driving freight trains with very slow brake response and need to release the brakes rapidly.

Likewise, to get to "SOS", you need to be at "B +" and hold down your apply brake key for a second or so (like other Locomotives in Zusi).This gives you emergency braking (0 bar).

When I brake the 245, I start with the dynamic brake. When full dynamic brake is insufficient (or when coming to a complete stop), then air brakes are required too. My usual process to apply air brakes are as follows:

1. When preparing to brake, set the lever to const (two presses on the apply brake key). This will maintain the current brake pressure (still 5 bar at this stage)
2. When applying the brake, set the lever to B+ for a short period of time (1-2 secs), then return to const. Monitor brake pressure and evaluate braking performance. With experience you learn what brake pressure is required. With passenger trains (e.g. RE Marschbahn 2018), max dynamic brake and 4.5 bar brake pressure is more than sufficient braking performance for most purposes.
3. If more braking is required, select B+ for a short period again, before returning to const. Repeat as necessary.
4. If less braking is required, select B- for a short period before reselecting const, repeating as required.
5. When braking is complete (Train stopped, signal changed to Hp1 etc), reset the brake lever to 5 bar (two clicks forward from const).

Also remember to limit brake pressure to 4.5-5 bar when stopping the train, otherwise you may get a "hard stop".

VMPP

#5 Beitrag von VMPP »

Actually the issue was more connected with the lag on the gauge, and not so much with the procedure, which I was familiar with.

I was clicking it to the b+, but for too long while waiting to see the gauge move. But actually, when it moved, the ''commanded'' pressure vs time, was like having it at 3.5-full brake. Then releasing it was the same issue, lag, meaning it would release altogether.
So that meant I was always chasing the pressure and the needles were all around the place. What was needed was just to click it for no more than 1 sec at a time both for the b+ and b- positions.

All working fine now.

On another note, what are the hidden criteria for the evaluation of the activities?
Sometimes I do some schedules with everything at 0, no errors, no speeding, nothing, and I still get between 95-100%. What are the other evaluations?

Antworten