Still on demo version have some questions

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
Ben Cruachan

Still on demo version have some questions

#1 Beitrag von Ben Cruachan »

Hi all,

First post from me have downloaded the demo version and enjoyed it so far, couple of questions though if anyone can assist. Apologies if these are seeming a bit daft...I'm only just started here.

1) Does the AI have power to re route trains to different platforms or lines? One of my main gripes with other train simulations available is that the routing is completely rigid and has no resemblance to how an actual railway operates the moment any type of alteration to the timetable occurs. (I'm a railwayman in the day job)

2) I noticed during one demo run I was issued with a form at a signal in German could not find a translated version of this and wondered if any assistance exists to find an English version?

Thanks

Ben

jonathanp
Aktuelle Projekte: http://www.zusidatenbank.de/

Re: Still on demo version have some questions

#2 Beitrag von jonathanp »

Hi! Welcome to the forum, I'll do my best to give some answers.

1)
The flexibility the dispatcher has is under the control of the timetable author. He/she selects the primary route the train should take, but can also select alternative routes to be used.

There are two ways these alternative routes can come into play. If the primary route is not available, the dispatcher will use an alternative route. In addition, Zusi has a setting called the 'chaos factor' which causes the dispatcher to deliberately select an alternative route on a random basis.

Flexibility is a double-edged sword. The reality is that creating an automatic dispatcher which can re-route trains across different routes and lines, without ever creating deadlocks where every train is blocked by another train from reaching it's destination is a very complex problem - if the author of Zusi had this problem solved, he could simply sell the technology to Deutsche Bahn for €100m and not bother with the simulator!

Competing products use a scenario system which contain only a single player service and small number of other services. My understanding is these scenarios have to be extensively tested and tweaked in order to ensure they actually work. Meanwhile the most complex Zusi timetable contains more than 500 services in a 21 hour period, of which 350 are driveable. The task of timetable author is to ensure that all these hundreds of services can run, with the occasional alternative route, without the chance of a deadlock becoming too high.

The primary advantage of the Zusi dispatcher compared to competitors is that it follows the timetable rather than blindly setting a route in front of train. This means it is quite easy to have trains wait at junctions/in passing loops/sidings in order that they can run in the correct sequence.

2) I haven't seen one I'm afraid. Possibly the English Manual in the full version has some further explanation.
Zuletzt geändert von jonathanp am 08.01.2020 12:13:50, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Autor - Zusi 3 C++ Client, zusidatenbank.de - Das Zusi3 Addon-Datenbank

Ben Cruachan

#3 Beitrag von Ben Cruachan »

jonathanp hat geschrieben:Hi! Welcome to the forum, I'll do my best to give some answers.

1)
The flexibility the dispatcher has is under the control of the timetable author. He/she selects the primary route the train should take, but can also select alternative routes to be used.

There are two ways these alternative routes can come into play. If the primary route is not available, the dispatcher will use an alternative route. In addition, Zusi has a setting called the 'chaos factor' which causes the dispatcher to deliberately select an alternative route on a random basis.

Flexibility is a double-edged sword. The reality is that creating an automatic dispatcher which can re-route trains across different routes and lines, without ever creating deadlocks where every train is blocked by another train from reaching it's destination is a very complex problem - if the author of Zusi had this problem solved, he could simply sell the technology to Deutsche Bahn for €100m and not bother with the simulator!

Competing products use a scenario system which contain only a single player service and small number of other services. My understanding is these scenarios have to be extensively tested and tweaked in order to ensure they actually work. Meanwhile the most complex Zusi timetable contains more than 500 services in a 21 hour period, of which 350 are driveable. The task of timetable author is to ensure that all these hundreds of services can run, with the occasional alternative route, without the chance of a deadlock becoming too high.

The primary advantage of the Zusi dispatcher compared to competitors is that it follows the timetable rather than blindly setting a route in front of train. This means it is quite easy to have trains wait at junctions/in passing loops/sidings in order that they can run in the correct sequence.

2) I haven't seen one I'm afraid. Possibly the English Manual in the full version has some further explanation.
Many thanks for the reply.

Understand fully over the 'deadlock' problem.

Is there an overview map of trains running when your driving so you can see such issues if they occur and maybe remedy if so?

jonathanp
Aktuelle Projekte: http://www.zusidatenbank.de/

#4 Beitrag von jonathanp »

Through the 'select another train' list you can see which trains are in the simulation, whether they are in motion or not, and you can remove them. A map display of positions is part of the instructor console in the professional version I think, but it's not in the Hobby version.
Autor - Zusi 3 C++ Client, zusidatenbank.de - Das Zusi3 Addon-Datenbank

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator

#5 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

Is there an overview map of trains running when your driving so you can see such issues if they occur and maybe remedy if so?
There s list of trains their position in the debug window.

Carsten

Ben Cruachan

#6 Beitrag von Ben Cruachan »

Many thanks for the replys I will be getting the full version soon and look forward to it.

Antworten