English manual not understandable at some points

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
janamdo

English manual not understandable at some points

#1 Beitrag von janamdo »

Where i was afraid for comes true .. programmer language in a manual and there is more
2.8.1.9.4 Signal speeds
If the train has to branch off over a set of points, the speed limit is
normally lower at this point than the line speed. These speeds are
indicated by various signal aspects on main signals. For example, the
signal may show that the line speed applies without further restriction
when driving in a straight line over the points, and that a slow
approach at 40 km/h applies when branching off.
How must a newcomer understand this ? :(
Zuletzt geändert von janamdo am 31.10.2019 00:11:13, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

jonathanp
Aktuelle Projekte: http://www.zusidatenbank.de/

Re: English manual not understandable at some points

#2 Beitrag von jonathanp »

It makes sense to me. It's a little wordy, but basically it says that signals can indicate speed limits, and the speed limit will change depending on the route that has been set, with usually a slower speed limit for a diverging route.

I have not mentioned this before, because it was not relevant, but now I must. As Englishman living in Germany I am used to reading English with mistakes, but the English that you write is barely comprehensible, some of the time I cannot understand it at all. So I would respectfully suggest that if you also have problems reading English, the problem might not be the text.
Zuletzt geändert von jonathanp am 31.10.2019 10:32:31, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Autor - Zusi 3 C++ Client, zusidatenbank.de - Das Zusi3 Addon-Datenbank

janamdo

#3 Beitrag von janamdo »

jonathanp hat geschrieben:
I have not mentioned this before, because it was not relevant, but now I must. As Englishman living in Germany I am used to reading English with mistakes, but the English that you write is barely comprehensible, some of the time I cannot understand it at all. So I would respectfully suggest that if you also have problems reading English, the problem might not be the text.
Well, if you think this is the case, because my English is not correct written by me (on a short manner to prevent to make it needless more complicated) and of course i am not a Englishman, so i am limited in my way to express myself.
Imagine to explain somenone who is completely new to the subject, and yes it makes sense to you of course.

I think this manual text is sometimes a problem to understand for new users of ZUSi 3 (well at least for me), so i am disagree with you.

Also some illustrations in the manual, their meaning , i don't get it.
Zuletzt geändert von janamdo am 31.10.2019 11:25:41, insgesamt 4-mal geändert.

Matthias H.
Aktuelle Projekte: Bauen für die Grenzlandbahnen

#4 Beitrag von Matthias H. »

programmer language in a manual and there is more
No, this is not programmer language. It uses some railway specific terms though. Are you familiar with these? (i.e. "set of points", "line speed")

The text basically says:
- When you go straight over a set of points (= turnout, railway switch), the normal "line speed" applies.
- When you go left or right at a turnout you may have to reduce speed (down to 40 km/h if not otherwise indicated)
- The signal lights will show you the maximum speed. When you reach the main signal you have to be at lower (indicated) speed.

janamdo

#5 Beitrag von janamdo »

Matthias H. hat geschrieben:
programmer language in a manual and there is more
No, this is not programmer language. It uses some railway specific terms though. Are you familiar with these? (i.e. "set of points", "line speed")
Thanks

With programmer language, i mean here : the manual text is written by the programmer obviously.
It is not Delphi programming language that i read here

I study it again..

F. Schn.

#6 Beitrag von F. Schn. »

I'm sorry, but lets compare the section with the German original
2.8.1.9.4 Signalgeschwindigkeiten
Soll der Zug abzweigende Weichen befahren, so ist meistens eine niedrigere Geschwin-
digkeit als die Streckengeschwindigkeit vorgesehen. Diese Geschwindigkeiten werden
durch unterschiedliche Signalbegriffe an Hauptsignalen vorgegeben. So kann z.B. bei
gerade Fahrt über die Weichen uneingeschränkte Streckengeschwindigkeit und bei ab-
zweigender Fahrt Langsamfahrt mit 40 km/h signalisiert werden.
Yes it is a valid translation. I'm not sure if you can say its the easyest one aviable.
Diese Signatur möchte folgendes bekannter machen: ZusiWiki · ZusiSK: Streckenprojekte · YouTube: Objektbau für Zusi · euirc: Zusi-Chat

janamdo

#7 Beitrag von janamdo »

F. Schn. hat geschrieben:Yes it is a valid translation. I'm not sure if you can say its the easyest one aviable.
Thanks.
For me it is not a big issue understanding completely the whole English manual at once (impossible) , i primarily focussed practical on driving with a train.
i am now in the process of deciphering the traindata list with all his symbols :)

Perhaps a dividing in two section on this English forum :
- driving in the freighttrains
- driving in the passengerstrain

Freightrains do now have my attention.
How are the freighttrains organized in Germany for instance ?

Its more, imagine i am driving on a freighttrain, what will i encounter underways?
Are there crossing , junctions , a branch off, … ?.. + speed regulations
Zuletzt geändert von janamdo am 31.10.2019 14:40:59, insgesamt 4-mal geändert.

F. Schn.

#8 Beitrag von F. Schn. »

Sorry but... er... what?

I'm not really sure if we expected a approach to learn the simulation like that. I'm not sure if I may figured out the reason why some gnome desktops removed any chance of UI customisation...
Diese Signatur möchte folgendes bekannter machen: ZusiWiki · ZusiSK: Streckenprojekte · YouTube: Objektbau für Zusi · euirc: Zusi-Chat

Matthias H.

#9 Beitrag von Matthias H. »

With programmer language, i mean here : the manual text is written by the programmer obviously.
I totally got what you meant.

However, the paragraph you mentioned describes rules and regulations of the German railway system in general. Nothing to do with Zusi as a computer programme.
It was obviously written by people who are deep in matter - but not from a programmer perspective.

I agree, as a beginner not all of this is easy to process by just reading the brief overview in the documentation - even in the original German version. If you want to know more about German railway signalling or train protection: You´ll find a number of general tutorial videos on YouTube in English language that should help you understand.

Matthias H.

#10 Beitrag von Matthias H. »

Its more, imagine i am driving on a freighttrain, what will i encounter underways?
Are there crossing , junctions , a branch off, … ?
Of course. And signals and a train protection system that you´ll have to handle.

The only major difference compared to passenger trains is that you don´t stop at a station but only in front of signals.

F. Schn.

#11 Beitrag von F. Schn. »

@Matthias H: Well, I don't think so. In my oppinion the German manual is not as high level as the English one and a beginner can yoin at any place in the German manual, especially in Chapter 2.8.1 without tripping with wording. (Exception is 2.8.1.10.1 that is unusable on the Steam layout, but thats another topic.)

janamdo

#12 Beitrag von janamdo »

Matthias H. hat geschrieben: The only major difference compared to passenger trains is that you don´t stop at a station but only in front of signals.
Yes, but i thought if i remember correctly, when i was at the freightrain of my brother, the train was in a station stopped ( i'll ask him again about this. )
All kind of unpredictable events can occur, that's why the freight train must stop at the station, but under normal operation not.

Matthias H.

#13 Beitrag von Matthias H. »

@F.Schn.: I´m not assessing or comparing the quality of any of the two versions (I haven´t even read the English manual).

The German chapter 2.8 about "Bahnbetrieb" starts with "In diesem Kapitel werden die wichtigsten Grundlagen erläutert".
So I just wanted to point out that additional information from other media (books, websites, tutorial videos) can be helpful for beginners to understand signalling or train protection. Even in English, - you just need to search.

Matthias H.

#14 Beitrag von Matthias H. »

Yes, but i thought if i remember correctly, when i was at the freightrain of my brother, the train was in a station stopped ( i'll ask him again about this. )
All kind of unpredictable events can occur, that's why the freight train must stop at the station, but under normal operation not.
Well, I´m not an expert about all events that could occur. But in general (at least in Germany) you could say:

- when driving a passenger train you stop in the station (at the platform) if the timetable says so. Even if the main signal shows "go".
- when driving a freight train you only stop in front of a signal showing "stop". Of course, this can also happen in a station.

F. Schn.

#15 Beitrag von F. Schn. »

Matthias H. hat geschrieben:I´m not assessing or comparing the quality of any of the two versions
No, I do not either. But I agree that this quote is a little advanced.

Antworten