Zusi for Beginners

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
i am not deutsch

Zusi for Beginners

#1 Beitrag von i am not deutsch »

Hi All,

First time post on the forum. I played the Zusi demo quite a bit and quite enjoyed it which is why I purchased the full package. However I am really struggling to figure out how to get the best out of Zusi. Would someone be able to help with these questions?
  • What are some good routes / timetables for beginners? From the demo I have a good handle of the 216 but am a bit lost when it comes to the newer trains.
    What is an older electric train that is good to drive with a high resolution cab?
    Is there any English documentation that can help with explaining how to drive the newer trains?
    How do I get Zusi Display to work?
    In my driver evaluation I am always called out for the unsafe driving but I am not really sure what contributes to that penalty. Any ideas?
Thanks - I will probably have many more questions as I play the game more!

halfur

Re: Zusi for Beginners

#2 Beitrag von halfur »

Hi,
first of all: welcome to Zusi and the forum!

I'm not going to be able to answer every question of yours, but I'll see what I can do.

About the good timetables: that's most definitely subjective. I personally really enjoy the newer routes and vehicles, so the SFS (High-Speed-Route) between Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe and Göttingen is really great for getting to terms with the LZB. I'd recommend starting with a low chaos level, to avoid difficult situations while getting used to the standard operation of the LZB. The VDE8 is fantastic, but requires you to learn to operate ETCS, which is very different from the earlier systems in Germany. For a wide variety of vehicles on routes which might be familiar to you from the demo, I'd suggest the Bahnhofsfest Altenbeken timetable from the Paderborn_Kassel folder. All of these timetables are relatively current, so some rule changes apply in comparison to the demo, probably one of the more notable ones being not having to use the whistle before entering tunnels. Also the Buchfahrplan/schedule is using a slightly different layout and contains more information. The ¥-symbol e.g. symbolises the point of the last switch behind a signal, i.e. the point after which you can accelerate after passing it with the last axle of your train.

For the older electric trains, I think the best one is currently the 151. It has a dynamic brake in addition to the pneumatic one, has a Full-HD cab, and is a lot of fun. Please note the limitation to a specific amperage (not sure about the value right now), so if you try to accelerate too fast the main breaker will trip.

I'm not sure about the English documentation, but considering I'm not even aware of German documentation explaining the usage of modern trains (except for the PZB90 and the LZB) I doubt there is any. But if I'm honest, they're actually a lot easier to use than the old ones. Probably the thing that confused me the most about e.g. the 120 is the way the driving controls are arranged, especially on keyboards. Some of them have a +/- range, so the first three positions are "reduce traction, hold traction and increase traction", and you have to hold the button to pass forward into the range which allows you to set the traction directly. And I'd recommend using the AFB, basically cruise control for trains. I'm not sure about the keyboard layout, as I'm using a custom one, but you'll have to switch it on and then use the lever left from your traction lever to set your desired speed. Note that you can only turn on the AFB if your traction lever is set to 0, and if you turn on the AFB while rolling you will want to set the AFB lever to maximum before turning it on, to avoid the train braking, because the AFB is set to a speed of 0km/h. When using the AFB the train will accelerate automatically, but only with up to the amount of traction set by your traction lever, so it won't accelerate if it's set to 0.

ZusiDisplay should work out of the box, if you're running it on the same computer as the simulation, but you'll have to enable the data transmission in the network settings of the simulator.

I'm not sure about the specific translation of "unsafe driving" in this case, so I'm not sure about your evaluation. Maybe you could provide a screenshot or the result xml, so we could have a look at it together :)

In the hopes of having helped a bit, have fun driving!
halfur
Zuletzt geändert von halfur am 20.07.2019 18:45:29, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator

#3 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

There is an English manual (only simulator, no editors) since version 3.3.
You find it in the directory _docu, the windows start menu and when calling the "docu" item in the mainmenu under "help" (when language setting is English).

Carsten

F. Schn.

#4 Beitrag von F. Schn. »

I can not find "unsafe" in the translation file of demo or full version. I found "Bad driving style" in the full version. (German: "FormErgebnis.LabelFahrstilInfo.Caption = Schlechter Fahrstil".) I think the most green messages like "Wheel slip" are part of this category.
Diese Signatur möchte folgendes bekannter machen: ZusiWiki · ZusiSK: Streckenprojekte · YouTube: Objektbau für Zusi · euirc: Zusi-Chat

halfur

#5 Beitrag von halfur »

Oh, and I'd almost forgotten: I'd really recommend you have a look at http://zusidatenbank.de, perhaps through Google Translate, but once you've found out which field does what it's fairly self explanatory. It's a really useful tool to find timetables you might be interested in, as it allows you to find trains based on parameters you define (e.g. you can filter by locomotive, speed, length, weight).

i am not deutsch

#6 Beitrag von i am not deutsch »

Thank you all for your help!

@halfur really appreciate your comprehensive response! This is very helpful.
I understand ZusiDisplay should just work but I am not even sure how to get it started. I have searched the English manual and there do not really seem to be any instructions on how to launch it. Any help with this?
I had tried the Zusi Databank but even in English wasn't very sure what it was doing. Now you have explained I think this will make it a lot easier.

@F. Schn. Ah yes my evaluation deductions were for the "Bad Driving Style"... If this is wheelslip, I presume this is then likely me using too much acceleration to launch from the station.

@Carsten Yes I have read the English manual and where the sections are available are very comprehensive! But was wondering if there were any other resources that might be able to point out gauges and driving features for the different trains as it can get frustrating if the trains stop or start beeping and I do not know why :(

Zimmer
Aktuelle Projekte: Selbst + ständig = selbständig. :D

#7 Beitrag von Zimmer »

Dear "I'm not German",

you can always rely on the forum here to assist you if you're stuck with a non moving train or getting stopped without knowing why that might be.

To make it more simple and to enable the person helping you to be as accurate as possible, a screenshot of the graphs shown after terminating the drive is most helpful. That way everyone trying to help you can clearly see what was happening and then try to explain it. Plus, that way also others can learn a lesson or two.

Best Regards

Johannes

F. Schn.

#8 Beitrag von F. Schn. »

Remarks: The second first page of the evaluation just summerizes the first second page with the graph. So you must not try to understand your driving from the second first page, but from graph and the text labels inside it.
Zuletzt geändert von F. Schn. am 23.07.2019 19:00:42, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Diese Signatur möchte folgendes bekannter machen: ZusiWiki · ZusiSK: Streckenprojekte · YouTube: Objektbau für Zusi · euirc: Zusi-Chat

Flo Zille

#9 Beitrag von Flo Zille »

i am not deutsch hat geschrieben:I understand ZusiDisplay should just work but I am not even sure how to get it started.
You're probably using the Aerosoft Edition from Steam. You can start ZusiDisplay by going to its directory which is probably "Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/ZUSI 3 - Aerosoft Edition/_Tools/ZusiDisplay" (or somewhere else if you chose a different directory in Steam) and launching ZusiDisplay.exe. I then used the task bar context menu of the ZusiDisplay window to "pin" (anheften) the application, and now I can start ZusiDisplay tools quite easily using a right click on the ZusiDisplay task bar icon.

i am not deutsch

#10 Beitrag von i am not deutsch »

Thank you all for the tips!

@Zimmer
I thought it was quite witty when I created the user name and then I actually tried google translate and I realised it should have been "deutscher" whoops. Will try to post next time I am stuck.

@F. Schn.
I didn't even realise there was a second page!

@Flo Zille
Yes I am using the Aerosoft version! Will try to open up the app and try.

john spooner
Aktuelle Projekte: Building a Simdriving stand . and working on ideas for compact Train drivers control console.

#11 Beitrag von john spooner »

These forums are the best place to get answers on the inner working of Zusi 3
I have been here since the original Dongle version and before there was ever an English
Manual.

I found Zusi after moving to Germany and getting bored with TS series .
back then with a limited understanding of German it was a test trying to figure
everything out but these forums were a great help.

lots of very helpful people here yes Zusi is for me the best Train simulation currently
on the market.

If you want to have your forum name in correct form it is ( ich bin kein Deutscher )
though it is not an issue if you know the German Language or not , most German speakers
here have a good understanding of English.

Have fun with Zusi 3.

Antworten