Frustrating descent from Brilon Wald!

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
Tommi Salonen
Frustrating descent from Brilon Wald!

#1 Beitrag von Tommi Salonen »

Hello Zusianer (the latest word I've picked in German),

Drove for the first time all the way from Warburg to Freinohl on Ruhrtalbahn. Dgm 90456 pulled by BR 216. Very nice Strecke, with lots of beautiful rolling scenery, nice houses, tunnels, at least one beautiful bridge. Hat off to the builder.

But how the heck do you manage that long descent from Brilon Wald to near Olsberg? I struggled all the way down trying not to speed, only to finally find myself at a total standstill somewhere along the line, with brakes released but still not moving. Frustration!

I made it to Freinohl on that same day but many many minutes late. So: nice Strecke, poor performance. How to deal with slopes like the one down to Olsberg?

Regards,

Tommi
Zuletzt geändert von Tommi Salonen am 26.04.2017 12:09:53, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Michael_Poschmann
Aktuelle Projekte: Modul Menden (Sauerland)

Re: Frustrating descent from Brilon Wald!

#2 Beitrag von Michael_Poschmann »

Hello Tommi,

thank you for your praise. 8)

You have picked a really challenging trip - I agree that running down the 1:70 gradient with a heavy freight train, headed by a loco without dynamic brake is not too easy.
Did you try a "saw tooth" braking procedure? Go to, let's say, notch 2 of brake controller (in sufficient time, be aware of delayed brake application). Decrease speed to approximately 60 km/h and release brake completely. Train will accelerate accordingly - and time span until next brake application will be used to recover brake. Based on this procedure you may avoid speeding.

I will keep fingers crossed that will have a successful run down to Bestwig. ;)

Fine Regards to Finland
Michael

Tommi Salonen

#3 Beitrag von Tommi Salonen »

Michael,

Thanks for the tip. I did try something of the sort but wasn't too successful. Couldn't manage those brake recoveries that you mentioned. Felt like riding on a roller-coaster at times.

I'd noticed that dynamic brakes came in handy even on smoother drives, like that from Altenbeken to Kassel, where there are stretches where you can set the Fahrschalter to 0 and just control the speed by dynamic brakes.

One fine day I'll climb bravely again to Brilon Wald. Going to have some practise with 216 before that.

Greets from southern Finland with its 7.2 C degrees. Cold, cold spring here.

Tommi
Zuletzt geändert von Tommi Salonen am 26.04.2017 14:20:20, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Steven G.
Aktuelle Projekte: Loks für Zusi 3

#4 Beitrag von Steven G. »

Hi Tommi,

Also to add to what Michael has written. Some places on this downhill section the gradient changes significantly. Through the station of Olsberg for example the gradient temporarily becomes almost level. The other side of the station the gradient increases again. Just before entering the station is a good opportunity to release the brakes and allow them to recharge without the speed increasing too much. If you don't release the brakes at this point it is easy to get too slow or even stop. Learning the significant (and sometimes subtle) changes in gradient and also the lineside landmarks that remind you when to apply and release the brakes is the only way to drive a heavy train safely and really that only comes with a lot of practice.

Best regards from Australia,

Steven.

Tommi Salonen

#5 Beitrag von Tommi Salonen »

Hi Steven

Yes, heavy freight trains are a real challenge. Which is a big praise for Zusi's way of simulating things. It's great how different trains behave in different ways, and the driving experience varies accordingy.

Thanks for the sound advice.

Regards,

Tommi

Antworten