building a DB class 120 control desk

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
gazz
Aktuelle Projekte: BR 111 Drivers Desk
Mini universal drivers desk with 3D printed parts
Omsi : NG272 Drivers Workplace (I WILL make progress this year)
building a DB class 120 control desk

#1 Beitrag von gazz »

hello, first time post on here,

at the moment i'm using railworks to drive the class 120's, but i'm getting more and more fed up at the lack of operational details, i.e. no proper indusi displays or workings, no sifa and so on, i know it's due to railworks, aimed at people who have never seen the cab of a train before (hence the toys r us my first train set control overlay) but from what i've read, zusi does all i want and more, i.e. realistic operation of the trains, and cab views, (i dont care what the train looks like going past me standing on the lineside, i want to drive the thing, not jump out at 200 kmh and watch it go by :)

i found this place when searching for info on a project im about to start, i want to build a replica of a DB class 120 locomotives control desk, not an exact replica as money is very very tight for me, but something that will replicate the controls, instruments and lights,

i've seen that someone is in the process of doing just this, he has the advantage of living in germany and has been able to get hold of the genuine items from a class 120 cab, does anyone know if it'd be possible to get at the least the power and brake levers? without breaking the bank, and get them sent to england??

i have an idea to replicate them from scratch if i cant source the real things..... round bar alluminium, about 150mm diamiter by about 30mm wide, hole in the middle for the pivot bar, hole in the top face for the lever to screw into, pillow block style bearings mounted below the desk mount plate through which the top half of the disc pokes, and the pivot bar is connected directly to a 10k pot to work with the computer,

i'm thinking of adding variable notches to it for trains that use notches, a series of shallow holes drilled in one side of the round bar stock, and a sprung loaded ball bearing mounted to push the bearing into the holes, different sets of holes at different levels on the disc will give different notch patterns, the sprung loaded bearing holder being moved up or down to select the notch pattern.

Things like the switches seem pretty custom, tho they are used in most german loco's, any ideas where to get them from? would need at least the indusi switches,

i've also read someone had the dimensions and control positions for a class 120 drivers desk on here, if he reads this, any chance i can get a copy of them?

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
Re: building a DB class 120 control desk

#2 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

The switches can sometimes be found at ebay, for example:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0690625302

You can buy new switches as well, it#s about 70 EUR each.

It's difficult to get the levers at all (and if you do, they are probably quite expensive). You should think about creating them on your own.

Carsten

gazz
Aktuelle Projekte: BR 111 Drivers Desk
Mini universal drivers desk with 3D printed parts
Omsi : NG272 Drivers Workplace (I WILL make progress this year)

#3 Beitrag von gazz »

wow, expensive, as i thought,

i will deffinately build the power and brake levers my self then, reading on here other people have done just that,

my problem is i have not been in a class 120 locomotive (well, i might have in the nurnburg railway museum, but that was back in 2007), so i dont know how the real levers act, i assume there are some notches/detents?

the power lever is pushed down i see, whats that for? i assume the sifa button is the foot pedal?

john spooner
Aktuelle Projekte: Building a Simdriving stand . and working on ideas for compact Train drivers control console.

#4 Beitrag von john spooner »

I do have to agree on the way Railworks / TS2014 as it is now called. These days its more like a over priced train set.
It is no simulation.

I only got into the whole train thing since moving to Germany , but I still class myself very much as Train novice when it come's to knowing all types or Trains here.

I have also being thinking of a self build control, after seeing the poor quality of what the called controls these days, far to much plastic for my taste.

I have been reading through a few guides for self building from just basic re-wiring a game pad through to hardcore stuff.
But one I do not have to room for a full cab . so I am thinking along the lines of a micro control interface.

With all the needed buttons & switches, & levers & LED,s & so on but still very much thinking about it.
There some very good guides on this site.
The whole wiring up & soldering is more of an issue for me I can build a the box & make most of the levers myself but wiring up this is all new to me.

I still need to do a lot more research before I start even a basic attempt.

But I wish you luck with the build there.

Thomas Gabler
Aktuelle Projekte: Ähm, *tüdeldü* Ich muss weg...

#5 Beitrag von Thomas Gabler »

gazz hat geschrieben:my problem is i have not been in a class 120 locomotive (well, i might have in the nurnburg railway museum, but that was back in 2007), so i dont know how the real levers act, i assume there are some notches/detents?

the power lever is pushed down i see, whats that for? i assume the sifa button is the foot pedal?
The Button on the lever has two functions:
1. Additional Sifa button
2. Unlock the lever so that you can push it to a higher notch.

The class 120 lever has the following notches (from nearest to farthermost):

- off/Null (push button to go up)
- decrease tractive effort
- hold tractive effort (push to go up)
- increase tractive effort (push to go up)
- continuous zone where you can directly set the tractive effort ("Z zone")

Normally you only use the Z zone, so you press and hold the button and push the lever directly from "off" into the Z zone.
After having applied the brakes you have to go to "off" and back.
Zuletzt geändert von Thomas Gabler am 31.01.2014 16:37:01, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Rekursion, die: Siehe Rekursion

Antworten