Quick Question re Zusi 3

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
Vern
Quick Question re Zusi 3

#1 Beitrag von Vern »

As readers may be aware there are currently major ructions over the possibility EA/Kuju may include some kind of data mining/spyware routine in their "Rail Simulator" to place dynamic advertising on routes based on information it finds on the user's PC.

The morality and legality of this is being discussed elsewhere but just wondered if Carsten can confirm that Zusi 3 will not contain this type of programme. With issues over add-on licencing and now the spyware it really looks as if KRS will be one to avoid - leaving a nice gap for Zusi 3 to fill in the niche market.
Zuletzt geändert von Vern am 13.11.2006 12:07:45, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Daniel Rüscher aka Merlin
Aktuelle Projekte: Aktuell keine
#2 Beitrag von Daniel Rüscher aka Merlin »

For shure we can confirm that there are no sorts of spyware or other maleware, because Zusi is some kind of non comercial non profit Software
How to waste bits in a My SQL Database?

Like this.....

Christopher Spies

#3 Beitrag von Christopher Spies »

Daniel Rüscher aka Merlin hat geschrieben:Zusi is some kind of non comercial non profit Software
Erm... no.
Zusi is sold commercially, and its purpose is definitely to make profit (though maybe not enough for Carsten to make a living out of it).
Daniel Rüscher aka Merlin hat geschrieben:For shure we can confirm that there are no sorts of spyware or other maleware
And while I think Carsten is trustworthy and it's really highly unlikely that Zusi includes spyware, you can't really confirm it -- who knows, perhaps Carsten wants to generate some extra income :mua .

- Christopher
Zuletzt geändert von Christopher Spies am 13.11.2006 15:49:29, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Roland Ziegler
#4 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

I recommend to wait for Carsten to comment on this issue.

That Kuju DIGA story development is making headlines at least in one of the German forums, too.

Christopher Spies

What are people worried about?

#5 Beitrag von Christopher Spies »

Vern hat geschrieben:With issues over add-on licencing and now the spyware it really looks as if KRS will be one to avoid
By the way, what are people worried about? A firewall should help (in these days, really everybody should have one!), otherwise you can just pull the network cable while playing. No in-game advertising for you, then! After all, there are still people who don't even have an internet connection...

- Christopher

Roland Ziegler
#6 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

Christopher, we could repeat this discussion here. But there's already plenty (23 pages) to read about it in the UKTS forum. The issue is not about possible counter measures, the issue is about the objectionable (at least in most people's eyes) attempt of data mining behind your back in a retail software package targeting an unsuspecting consumer.

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#7 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

I recommend to wait for Carsten to comment on this issue.
Yes - "official statements" should be written by me, please. Everything else should clearly be recognizable as the writer's opinion.

I don't like any kind of spyware, datamining, secret functiona or whatever, so I do of course not programme that sort of function.
Any kind of data-transfer (TCP-connection for tools or multiplayer in future versions) will be in fully controlable by the user. That means Zusi will only connect if the user wants a connection. The data-protocol will be published so that you can control every single byte (if there are any doubts).

Carsten

Vern
#8 Beitrag von Vern »

Well done Carsten and thanks for the confirmation.

Zusi 3 rules!

Felix Esser

#9 Beitrag von Felix Esser »

Any kind of data-transfer (TCP-connection for tools or multiplayer in future versions) will be in fully controlable by the user.
I hope that this data-transfer only needs one port. :roll: ;)
And not ten open ports for one game. :angst
Zuletzt geändert von Felix Esser am 15.11.2006 12:17:55, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Rbnqss

#10 Beitrag von Rbnqss »

What is current sitsuation with the Zusi 3 projekt, any quess when betas are released or something ?

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#11 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

The first public release will be a Demo of the simulator with the Bad Driburg-Altenbeken-route but there is no release-date yet.

Carsten

Antworten