Explanation of German block and interlocking principles

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
jpachl
Explanation of German block and interlocking principles

#1 Beitrag von jpachl »

On my website, I started a little article that explains basic German block and interlocking principles in English, see http://joernpachl.gmxhome.de/German_principles.htm

Since English is not my first language, the text is still far from being perfect in grammar and style. But I hope it will already provide some valuable information for the interested reader.

Joern

Jason-M

#2 Beitrag von Jason-M »

Thank you very much Joern for your information it is very interesting.
You must of been very busy.
Zuletzt geändert von Jason-M am 16.08.2006 13:14:50, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
--
Jason M

(Ar-) T-Rex
Aktuelle Projekte: Seit 65 Millionen Jahren die Entwicklung der Eisenbahn beobachten
#3 Beitrag von (Ar-) T-Rex »

Between two main signals may be only one train. This is the most important and especially basic principe. And it's valid guilty for all the European railways.

Arthur
Zuletzt geändert von (Ar-) T-Rex am 16.08.2006 19:06:40, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
ZPA-Bereich Österreich

E-mail:
oesterreich@zpa.zusi.de

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#4 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

And it's guilty for
puh, da ist meine dieswöchige 1:0-Niederlage bei der Fremdwortauswahl ja wieder ausgeglichen :mua

Carsten

(Ar-) T-Rex
Aktuelle Projekte: Seit 65 Millionen Jahren die Entwicklung der Eisenbahn beobachten
#5 Beitrag von (Ar-) T-Rex »

Wieso? Ich habe in diesem Forum schon früher mehrmals behauptet, nicht englisch zu können. Q.e.d.

Arthur :D
ZPA-Bereich Österreich

E-mail:
oesterreich@zpa.zusi.de

jpachl
#6 Beitrag von jpachl »

(Ar-) T-Rex hat geschrieben:Between two main signals may be only one train. This is the most important and especially basic principe. And it's valid guilty for all the European railways.
The text was not written for absolute beginners. It requires a basic understanding of railway operation. By the way, many European railways apply permissive working on automatic block lines. There, you can easily have more than one train between two successive main signals, even in regular operation. That is, why I stated at the beginning of the chapter on block working that German block systems are based on the absolute block principle (with the exception of the Berlin and Hamburg S-Bahn).

Joern

jpachl
#7 Beitrag von jpachl »

Jason-M hat geschrieben:Thank you very much Joern for your information it is very interesting.
You must of been very busy.
This article was my summer holiday project. Otherwise, I would not have found the time to do it.

Joern

Roland Ziegler
#8 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

Slightly OT: I raised the issue of absolute/permissive working in Europe some time ago ( http://forum.zusi.de/viewtopic.php?p=85151#85151 ), pointing to articles by a certain Prof. Pachl. Any such ideas about permisse workings were heavily opposed by Arthur bringing forward good reasons. IIRC one of the articles was about a suggestion for DB thinking about softening the strict absolute principle under certain conditions. I wonder what may have happened to that suggestion. (Could be continued in German in a different thread.)

(Ar-) T-Rex
#9 Beitrag von (Ar-) T-Rex »

Dr. Roland Ziegler hat geschrieben:... (Could be continued in German in a different thread.)
That would be a really good idea/suggestion.

Arthur,
who cannot speak english
ZPA-Bereich Österreich

E-mail:
oesterreich@zpa.zusi.de

Arie van Zon
#10 Beitrag von Arie van Zon »

jpachl hat geschrieben:many European railways apply permissive working on automatic block lines. There, you can easily have more than one train between two successive main signals, even in regular operation.
Here in the Netherlands, all automatic block signals (except a few in "tunnels") are permissive. However, knowingly entering an occupied block is only allowed for providing assistance to a stranded train. Because passing a permissive signal at danger is only allowed when the "treindienstleider" (dispatcher?) is unreachable, it's not very likely to have two trains in one block.

Greetings, Arie

Plokky
Aktuelle Projekte: Simulationssoftware
#11 Beitrag von Plokky »

The dutch system is an "absolute-permissive" system. Means: try to talk first to a dispatcher, if not available pass the "stop" signal. (such signals are marked with a "p" plate. (very similar to the north american "R" plate)

the german "absolute" system requires a written order to pass any signal.
(with in one certain case a nice exception...)

The belgian/french system is an "permissive" system where after a short stop, the driver may proceed through a stop signal under certain conditions. (Belgium: crown plate, France: "F" plate)
In Belgium the driver even has to fill out a written order by himself. (there is a very good purpose for that. but off topic)
grüsse,

Richard Plokhaar

dany44360

Re: Explanation of German block and interlocking principles

#12 Beitrag von dany44360 »

In France, there are two systems of automatic block system : BAL, which is permissive, and BAPR, with restricted permissivity.

Antworten