Error Messages after Installing Points

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
Vern
Error Messages after Installing Points

#1 Beitrag von Vern »

I am getting a bit frustrated in the Route Editor at present!

It seems using the points command from the drop down menu (as opposed to just joining two elements to make points) is causing the editor to crash when I go to the landscape editor to create rails at points. An error message appears and the progress line freezes with the bar half way across. Trying to reconnect the track network generates a module address error and deleting the points then trying to connect the sections to try again is also crashing the editor.

Rather annoyed now as this is the third attempt at starting a route and I'm on the verge of abandoning my efforts altogether as I have no desire to spend 2 or 3 weeks working on a module to find I can't finish it at the end.

Vern
#2 Beitrag von Vern »

Think I may have sorted the problem. Appears at the points in question, I had overlapping vectors possibly as a result of creating tracks in the opposite direction which have then overlaid existing direction symbols. If that is the case, then perhaps the editor needs to detect those and only apply the command as far as any existing arrows in that direction? Some of the vector arrows at points are quite small and very hard to select so it is difficult to know exactly where to start and finish placing opposite tracks.

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#3 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

I'm not sure, if I really understood, what you tried to do. Connecting 2 elements should be done with the "Absteckrechner".

Carsten

Christian Gründler

#4 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Hello Vern,

the "create points" menu should work correctly. But it is the older way to create points in Zusi - all points you can create by "create points" are available as "ready-made points" with working blades, and I strongly suggest that you create them this way.

"Ready-made points" are explained at the very end of the Route Editor's manual. They are attached to an existing element just like points to a piece of track on your model railway (if you got one). Maybe the names of the files are confusing without a basic knowledge of the German language; therefore I give you an explanation:

All files reside inside the folder ...\Zusi\Gleismodule.

Subfolder EW190 contains simple points, for example EW54_190_1-9.str - rail profile S54, 190 metres radius (diverging route), tangens of the angle between the last part of the diverging route and the straight route 1:9.

I think that with this explanation the contents of the EW subfolders should be clear; have a look at the table in the Route Editors's Manual!

EKW are single slips, DKW are double slips, KR are crossings, DGV is a double connection between parallel tracks (four points and a crossing set by one action!).

All points are made for a distance of 4 metres between the centres of parallel tracks. You may remove the last track element of the diverging route (both directions) is the distance is smaller (hope this is sufficient).

Of course, measurements of British points will not match exactly the German ones. But I think nobody will notice. If you would like to use points to exact British measuments, this will mean that you habe to create you own ready-made points.

You may wonder why this is not explained in the route building tutorial. It is a comparatively new achievement, and developing Zusi3 has priority over writing an new tutorial. But the Route Editor's manual is up to date!

Hope my explanation is understandable (I'm a little bit tired after a day's work on our preserved railway). Please don't hesitate to ask if there arise further problems!

Kind Regards,
Christian
Zuletzt geändert von Christian Gründler am 16.04.2005 19:05:07, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Oliver Lamm
Aktuelle Projekte: Aachen - Neuss für Zusi3
#5 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

Vern,

haven't you received part III of the tutorial. I've described the usage of this modules in it ?

Oli
Oliver Lamm
mail(AT)oliverlamm(DOT)de

Vern
#6 Beitrag von Vern »

Yes thanks Oli, but I'm trying to adapt things to my way of thinking (more a reflection on my limited brain power than anything else!). As regards Abstrechner, I couldn't get on with it all so have been laying all my track with the standard Strecken Editor tools (following the rough course traced in Transdem). The points I have made look quite reasonable when the rails are added and the route I've now started is shaping up quite nicely with no more errors. I have however taken on board the suggestion to work in modules of 20 - 25km to avoid overtaxing the editor.

Carsten - perhaps I didn't explain clearly what I meant. I think what was happening was in creating points from a section of track which already had "opposite tracks" i.e. vectors in both directions applied, when I was attempting to apply the opposite vectors so the turnout could be used in both directions, I was overlapping the existing vectors. This must have confused the code when telling the programme to either reconnect the network or create the rails at points.

Please appreciate that there is a learning curve with this, more so than I thought, and for a first route I am trying to keep it as simple as possible. More advanced techniques (such as using the animated points) can come later. At this stage I will be quite pleased if I get the track up and running, the terrain resembling the prototype and roads, rivers and lakes plus a few buildings in place!

I have yet to tackle the horrors of the Gebaude editor and 3D placement...
Zuletzt geändert von Vern am 16.04.2005 20:45:12, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Jason-M

#7 Beitrag von Jason-M »

I feel the same as Vern, it is taking us a long time to get used to using the editors even with Oli's great tutorials. I have also used the old way of doing points as I just want to get something up and running without taking months and months to do. If I actually do get my route finished then I can perhaps upgrade it with time.

Thanks to everyone for your help and I am sorry if we seem to struggle to get our heads around it.
--
Jason M

Oliver Lamm
Aktuelle Projekte: Aachen - Neuss für Zusi3
#8 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

Jason, Vern,

everybody need to find its own way of building. If I can be of any help, just let me know. I'm working with the editors now for quite a while and I know it is sometimes frustrating.

Oli

PS: I continue working on the signals to get them to an official status within the next month or so.
Oliver Lamm
mail(AT)oliverlamm(DOT)de

Antworten