Braunschweig - Wolfsburg

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Nachricht
Autor
Vern
Braunschweig - Wolfsburg

#1 Beitrag von Vern »

I just received my updated 2.4 CD from Carsten (review now under way) and have to mention the above route is very enjoyable! I particularly like the activity where you arrive hauled by an electric loco - then "jump" to a diesel loco.

Could I indulge our German friends for some background on this route? I take it the single track and low speed mean it is not the usual route for the "IC" trains, but a diversionary route if the main line is blocked. I can't find any details of a regular passenger service in my Thomas Cook European timetable.

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#2 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

this line was closed a few years ago (between Braunschweig Gliesmarode and Lehre) when the new "Weddeler Schleife" was built. This is a completely new line (160 km/h) that replaced the low-speed part of our route, because this was not suitable for the ICE-high speed trains from Frankfurt to Berlin via Wolfsburg.

Intercity trains could only be seen on the branch-line when there were problems on the main-line Braunschweig-Magdeburg, that happened quite often....
See: http://home.arcor.de/bahnhobbyseiten2/ICIR.htm

Carsten

Bruce Kennewell
#3 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

One of the things that I really like about Zusi is that I always feel as if I am part of something much larger, like a small cog in a large machine.

There are other trains, all going about their business in accordance with their timetables, and I am in charge of just one of what may be many locomotives.
Some I never see whilst on my route; others pass me going in the same direction whilst others make my little goods train wait at signals whilst they take priority.

No other train-simulation gives me the same sense of belonging to a railway organisation as does Zusi.

With this in mind, I had to sit and wait for ten minutes at a signal and went to the 'Ctrl-F' viewpoint and noticed this tiny, tiny pixel way over to the right-background gradually grow and expand in length and get closer to my location.
http://www.netspeed.com.au/bhk/austrail ... stance.jpg

Then it disappeared and just then my signal changed to 'Proceed' and, when I passed under a bridge just around the corner from the trees, there was the train I had been watching, stopped at a signal!

I love this sim! :)

Now, can someone please explain why these two blue lights flash, and, if I press the 'Del' key, the flashing stops and then just the right-hand blue light stays illuminated?
http://www.netspeed.com.au/bhk/austrail ... lights.jpg

I know that it has something to do with the signalling/speed but am a little unsure as to EXACTLY what it means.

Thanks,
Bruce.
Zuletzt geändert von Bruce Kennewell am 17.01.2004 04:42:12, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

mdeen

#4 Beitrag von mdeen »

Bruce Kennewell hat geschrieben:Now, can someone please explain why these two blue lights flash, and, if I press the 'Del' key, the flashing stops and then just the right-hand blue light stays illuminated?
http://www.netspeed.com.au/bhk/austrail ... lights.jpg

I know that it has something to do with the signalling/speed but am a little unsure as to EXACTLY what it means.
Take you documentation with it and I'll translate for you.

This is the part from PZB.HTM#RestriktiveUeberwachung (or from the starting page of your docs, go to PZB-Punktförmige Zugbeeinflüssung, PZB90, Restriktive Überwachung)

As soon as the train is driving with less than 10 km/h for more that 15 seconds in the 1250 meter interval after the 1000Hz check, the restrictive mode is activated and the allowed maximum speed is 45 km/h. Going faster than this speed will result in an emergency brake.

After a 500Hz check the allowed maximum speed is 25 km/h. This is active for 200 meters when at receiving the 500Hz check the restrictive mode was already active or when the trein changes to restricte mode within 100 meters of the 500Hz check. Otherwise the active distance is 250 meters.

The restrictive check is displayed by alternated blinking of the 75 and 95 traintype lights. Here too there is the possibility to free the train from the mode after 700m after the 1000Hz check (yellow light goes dark) by using the release button [1 or del on the keypad]. Of course this should only be done when the train driver has clearly seen the the change of the main signal and therefore has no 500Hz check in the 1250 meters check-distance.

(picture)

It is also possible to free from the 1250 meter checkingcurve after the end of the 500Hz checkingcurve.

(picture)

In version 1.6 there will be a signal after end of the restrictive 500Hz interval.

From PZB90 version 1.6 there are more restrictive checkingspeeds. These speeds are in green next to the old values

(picture

from top to bottom in the picture:

Restricting function of PZB 90
[red]When overspeeding the curves, emergencybrake
dashed: freeing from check possible
[blue] Blue: speeds for restrictive checking
[green] Green: values for PZB 90 version 1.6

[blue]Restrictive checking starts when somewhere within the checkingarea after a 1000Hz check the speed is lower than 10 km/h for longer than 15 seconds

When the 500Hz check happens when restrictive checking is already in place or the restrictive checking is activated not more than 100 meters after the 500Hz check, the distance for the check is decreased from 250 to 200 meters
)

-- end of translation --

Cheers,

Maarten
Zuletzt geändert von mdeen am 17.01.2004 10:19:39, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

Vern
#5 Beitrag von Vern »

Thanks for that explanation - I was getting frustrated by having to run at 45 km/h even after the signal was clear!

BTW I found a couple of the later runs on the Wolfsburg diversionary route locked up - there is an EC that leaves Braunschweig around 2000 and I got to a red signal at Braunschweig East (?) that never changed.

However I agree with Bruce, this is all quite superb. I took an earlier E Zug from Braunschweig to Wolfsburg. There were two "meets" with trains on the single line then when I arrived at the Wolfsburg line there was a diesel hauled IC with electric loco "dead" behind which slowly pulled away and headed out onto the Braunschweig route.

Entrancing!

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#6 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

Code: Alles auswählen

by using the release button [0 or ins on the keypad]. 
it's 'Del' not '0'.

Thanks for translation!

@Bruce: This strange restrictive mode was designed to prevent the driver from starting the train (with dangerous speed) with a stop-signal ahead.

Carsten[/quote]

mdeen

#7 Beitrag von mdeen »

Carsten Hölscher hat geschrieben:

Code: Alles auswählen

by using the release button [0 or ins on the keypad]. 
it's 'Del' not '0'.
Yes, my mistake. I added the translations for the last picture too. I had to break it off because my barber's appointment was due in 15 minutes (and I still had to shower) I didn't take notice of the time :sleep '

(and corrected some typingmistakes. I really need to check all my work)

Maarten
Zuletzt geändert von mdeen am 17.01.2004 10:21:34, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Christian Gründler

#8 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Vern hat geschrieben:BTW I found a couple of the later runs on the Wolfsburg diversionary route locked up - there is an EC that leaves Braunschweig around 2000 and I got to a red signal at Braunschweig East (?) that never changed.
This happens in rare cases. You may change trains with CTRL+A; if all trains are standing at red signals, the simulation got stuck. This has been discussed elsewhere in the Forum; if I remember it correctly, the reason is not known. Finishing Zusi and restarting the program is recommended; if you are not using XP (maybe even then), you should first reboot the computer.

Bruce Kennewell
#9 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

mdeen hat geschrieben:Take you documentation with it and I'll translate for you...
Thank you very much for that explanation.

Regards,
Bruce.

Bruce Kennewell
#10 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

Christian Gründler hat geschrieben:....You may change trains with CTRL+A;...
This feature makes Zusi so enjoyable and so expansive; we can experience EVERY train in the timetable if we so wish (except those marked with * after their locomotive type...they are not driveable, I think).

Bruce

Steven De Haeck

#11 Beitrag von Steven De Haeck »

except those marked with * after their locomotive type...they are not driveable, I think
No, they are driveable.
But instead of driving directly the locomotive itself, you are in the steering/cab/control car (don' t know the exact translation).

Greetings,

Steven

Roland Ziegler
#12 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

we can experience EVERY train in the timetable if we so wish
On Braunschweig-Wolfsburg you can also pick one of the barges ("Schiff") and enjoy the view from the canal. Or pick the last entry of the timetable and drive in Carsten's car through the vast VW plant to his office "Büro"). On "Upper Ruhr V0.6" your options include aerial views from a hot-air ballon ("Ballon"), a glider ("Segelflieger") or you may even travel with the clouds ("Wolken"). And no annoying PZB90 for any of those! :D :D :D

Christian Gründler

#13 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Steven hat geschrieben:you are in the steering/cab/control car (don' t know the exact translation).
I don't know the english expression myself, but of course it should be included in our dictionary! I'm sure one of the native speakers will help us :) .

Another typical example of trains with a * are DMUs consisting of a powered and an unpowered unit, for example (628+928). When choosing your train, you may see "628" or "628*", but never "928". When driving the train, you will not see any difference (neather inside nor outside), but you should hear it :D .

EDIT: just after a pressed "Absenden", I remembered that there is a small difference - the 928 has a firts class section, which is marked outside with a yellow line above the windows. Inside the seats are blue and a little bit wider, but just as hard (and dirty) as in the standard accomodation; the whole thing is ridiculous.
Zuletzt geändert von Christian Gründler am 17.01.2004 15:56:46, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.

Andreas Karg
#14 Beitrag von Andreas Karg »

You might also call it "restricted area for members of the company" :)

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#15 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

the Zusi-dispatcher is stupid sometimes, so the traffic may stuck on single track-lines. In this case you should delete a few trains (Ctrl+A -> Löschen).

Carsten

Bruce Kennewell
#16 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

Carsten Hölscher hat geschrieben:the Zusi-dispatcher is stupid sometimes, so the traffic may stuck on single track-lines.....
Don't be too hard on your employees, Carsten!

He (or she) has the highest IQ of any dispatcher that I've yet to meet in either MTS or Trainz! :)

Bruce.

Bruce Kennewell
#17 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

Roland Ziegler hat geschrieben:....Or pick the last entry of the timetable and drive in Carsten's car through the vast VW plant to his office ("Büro")
I must try that and see where he works. :)

I've drifted through the sky in the balloon, but haven't tried the sailplane or the clouds.

Bruce.

Vern
#18 Beitrag von Vern »

The term for the non powered driving end of a push pull set in UK terminology varies...

On the East Coast and West Coast Main Line electric hauled (pushed) trains it is a DVT (Driving Van Trailer). When they used diesel hauled (pushed) trains in Scotland with Class 47's, the end vehicle was known as a DBSO - which is Driving Brake Second Open, i.e. the normal coach designation (BSO) prefixed with a D.

Drive End Trailer is another abbreviation.

Must admit I am still rather nervous being propelled at 125 MPH on the East Coast main line with just a lightweight coach in front of the train.

Oliver Lamm
Aktuelle Projekte: Aachen - Neuss für Zusi3
#19 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

steering/cab/control car
It should be cab

Oli
Oliver Lamm
mail(AT)oliverlamm(DOT)de

Roland Ziegler
#20 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

"Cab control car" seems to be American again.

"DVT (Driving Van Trailer)": If this term is used for IC225 with cl 91 and Mark IV push-pull consists then it would at least be appropriate for IC/IR-Steuerwagen although the German variants are not vans.
Zuletzt geändert von Roland Ziegler am 18.01.2004 15:30:50, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Antworten