[Regulars' table] Zusi Alternative Championship Cologne

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Nachricht
Autor
Roland Zühlke
Aktuelle Projekte: Eifelstrecke, Abschnitt Gerolstein - Trier
[Regulars' table] Zusi Alternative Championship Cologne

#1 Beitrag von Roland Zühlke »

Just trying to awake the english Zusi fans from their hibernation :)!

Please find the submission for the
Zusi Championship 2005
at http://www.zusi.rzuehlke.de/eng/meis2005/index.htm.

Best regards,

Roland

edit: missing p
Zuletzt geändert von Roland Zühlke am 01.03.2005 22:17:34, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

Christian Gründler

#2 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Roland Zühlke hat geschrieben:Just trying to awake the english Zusi fans from their hibernation :)!
Hello Roland,

that's really a good idea. Sometimes I wonder where all of our English friends have gone to...

Regards,
Christian
Zuletzt geändert von Christian Gründler am 17.02.2005 16:28:07, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Roland Zühlke
#3 Beitrag von Roland Zühlke »

You should correct the typo in the caption!
Just 41 seconds faster, Christian :P ;D ;D .

But thanks and cheers!

Roland

Vern
#4 Beitrag von Vern »

Waiting for Zusi 3!!

Then hopefully we can get set to some route building if the tools are easier to use.

Christian Gründler

#5 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Vern hat geschrieben:Waiting for Zusi 3!!

Then hopefully we can get set to some route building if the tools are easier to use.
Hello Vern,

this is probably a misunderstanding.

Of course the Zusi Route Editor is not easy to use. But today program and manual are available in English, and there is the tutorial "Building a simple test route". So we have overcome the language barrier :) .

If the tool is still difficult to use, this is mainly due to the way Zusi approaches the modelling of routes in the computer.

Lets first have a look at Trainz: the course of the track is defined by pivots (if I remember the term correctly). You can move the pivots as you like – the result is (nearly) always a nice-looking and well-formed track. But I think that you do not know the minimum radius of this track and therefore not the permitted speed; moreover there is no cant. (Please correct me if I'm mistaken – I have had only a short look at the Trainz editor.)

In Zusi tracks are constructed according to the rules of real life. For example a section of track could consist of the "elements" straight – transition – curve (with a given radius) – transition – straight. The permitted speed is calculated automatically (and shown later in the working timetable), and the cant increases and decreases at the transitions. I'm sure that this will not change with Zusi 3, and I don't think there is a possible shortcut to achieve the same result.

Kind regards,
Christian

Vern
#6 Beitrag von Vern »

English manual?

Where can I download that from Christian?

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#7 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

it's part of the official add-ons, you find them on zusi.de -> Download -> add-ons

Carsten

Roland Ziegler
#8 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

Admittedly, my tools have not been translated yet, and without them, some aspects of building non-fictitious routes aren't that much fun (at least in my own not so humble opinion 8) ).

The first of the tools to be translated will be TransDEM. Last week I managed to move all the hard-coded text strings from source code to the resource file, a prerequisite.

Jason-M

#9 Beitrag von Jason-M »

We are still around Roland, thanks for letting us know about the Championship.
--
Jason M

Vern
#10 Beitrag von Vern »

When Eisenbahn.exe Pro destroyed my O/S I lost all the previous updates to 2.1.1.5 that I had downloaded, haven't managed to find time to download them all again yet. As regards route building, if Zusi 3 is likely to arrive by the end of 2005 I would rather wait and focus my efforts there rather than build for a version which could be out of date in a few months 8)

Vern
#11 Beitrag von Vern »

Carsten Hölscher hat geschrieben:it's part of the official add-ons, you find them on zusi.de -> Download -> add-ons

Carsten
I've just downloaded all the updates ready to install but which of the add ons contains the English route building tutorial please?

Christian Gründler

#12 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Vern hat geschrieben:I've just downloaded all the updates ready to install but which of the add ons contains the English route building tutorial please?
Hello Vern,

the English version of Zusi is a little bit concealed (sorry for the inconvenience):

1) You should install all (!) add ons in consecutive order (but you may omit the Oesterreich files). This has nothing to do with the manual, but there will be a mess in other parts of Zusi if you don't do so. (I mean: it is all right not to install any add ons at all, but if you install only some of them - and unfortunately the English files are spread over several add on packages - Zusi will not work properly.)

2) Then you must copy the contents (!) of the folder Zusi\Sprachen\English into the Zusi folder. (There will be the question "Do you really want..." as some files are overwritten, which is all right.)

Now the Driving Simulator, the Route Editor and the Zusi File Manager (program and manual) should be in English; "Building a simple test route" is to be found at the bottom of the main index.

If you would like to avoid downloading all add ons and tell me your email address, I can send you the English files (ca. 300 kB).

Kind regards,
Christian

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#13 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

I will provide a seperate download which only consists of the English translation (programme and documentation) this week.

Carsten

Vern
#14 Beitrag von Vern »

Thanks for that.

At the moment I have processed the main updates to the latest 2.4.x.x version, but when I go to start a run the sim is refusing to load with error messages regarding missing cab files. I'll have a quick look to see if I've missed anything obvious but I've gone through in order...
CD9 to CD10 update
CD10 to CD11 update
The CD 11 patch
Setup.exe to 2.4
then the various 2.4 updates.

Help!

Vern
#15 Beitrag von Vern »

Oops, forget most of the above message.

I was installing off an old CD, I've now found the latest one 2.4.2.2 so will do a fresh install - then set about getting the English screens working.

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#16 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

don't you have CD No. 12?

The updates you listed are much older.

Carsten

Roland Zühlke
#17 Beitrag von Roland Zühlke »

Jason M hat geschrieben:We are still around Roland, thanks for letting us know about the Championship.
Good to know, so we are going to welcome you in Cologne ;) ?

Currently it looks like we schedule the championship to the first weekend in june (04th/05th).

Best regards,

Roland

Vern
#18 Beitrag von Vern »

Yes I have CD 12, which I'm now installing plus the updates.

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#19 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

then you only need the updates
Updates Zusi (aufbauend auf CD12)

And the English translation will be available in a few days, so you needn't download all the zad-files.

Carsten

Vern
#20 Beitrag von Vern »

Just to confirm what I've written on the other threads. I now have an up to date version of Zusi and I'm working through the route building tutorial.

I'm guessing doing landscape (terrain) will be the hardest part so I'm intrigued to see the Ziegler Tools will actually read from TSTF. Failing that there is some 90m DEM available for most of Europe. After mastering the track building I will have to learn how to import the terrain data.

Out of interest, is it possible to import a map into the Zusi editor to work off as a background guide?

Antworten