Dictionary

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Nachricht
Autor
Christian Gründler

#81 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Arie van Zon hat geschrieben:Refuge siding seems to be AE for it.

http://www.mda.org.uk/railway/railobjr.htm#refuges

/Arie
BE, Arie, BE ;) !

Arie van Zon
#82 Beitrag von Arie van Zon »

I could also have read the URL... :O

/Arie

Roland Ziegler
#83 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

Roland Zühlke
Aktuelle Projekte: Eifelstrecke, Abschnitt Gerolstein - Trier
#84 Beitrag von Roland Zühlke »

Perfekt, Arie! Thanks a lot!
Christian Gruendler hat geschrieben:sorry that I can't help you. But I'm a little bit puzzled as I thought you were translating the PZB chapter ?( .
You don't have to be puzzled ;D , cause you are right. But you will see (hopefully this evening), why I needed that word.

Best regards,

Roland

Roland Ziegler
Looking for an appropriate term

#85 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

@Native speakers:

As I am about to start translation of TransDEM I might need a few suitable English terms.

To begin with, I am looking for some sort of appropriate translation for "Rohtrasse" and "Rohtrassen-Editor".

What is it: The "Rohtrasse" is the result of a drawing activity, by tracing or pegging out the "course of the line" (as Vern put it a few minutes ago) on a map, thus creating one or more polylines (vectors). Hence, "course of the line" may describe it.

However, there is a tool involved, a drawing editor, and "course of the line editor" sounds a bit funny.

Here is a collection of terms I was thinking about:
  • "Raw route" and "raw route editor": Literal translation. The term "Rohtrasse" is not a common one in German, but characterises quite well the nature of it.
  • Simply "route" and "route editor": The features of this editor are too basic to call it a full scale route editor.
  • "Track" and "Track Editor": "Tracking" sometimes seems to be used in the sense of logging or tracing. GPS receivers record "tracks". In that case not quite the same as two rails connected by sleepers.
  • "Line" and "line editor": I kind of like the term "line editor" but in computer lingo, a line editor most often is a text line editor
  • "Polyline editor": too restrictive, as it will handle point objects in the future, too.
  • "drawing editor": maybe, but currently handles polyline objects only.
Any other suggestions or any voting on the terms I picked?
Zuletzt geändert von Roland Ziegler am 30.03.2005 10:20:30, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Max Senft
Administrator
Aktuelle Projekte: Dies und das
#86 Beitrag von Max Senft »

Hi,

I looked up "Trasse" @ dict.leo.org and found out that possible translations are also "trace" or "stretch". At least "raw trace editor" sounds much better to me than "raw route editor".

But as I'm not a native speaker, I might be wrong. ;D

Bye
Max Senft
Administrator, Programmierer, Ansprechpartner bei Problemen mit dem Board

Daniel Rüscher aka Merlin
Aktuelle Projekte: Aktuell keine
#87 Beitrag von Daniel Rüscher aka Merlin »

How about "RawTrack" and "Raw Track" Editor?
How to waste bits in a My SQL Database?

Like this.....

Steven G.
Aktuelle Projekte: Loks für Zusi 3

#88 Beitrag von Steven G. »

Hello,

Maybe 'Path' is possibly a word that may be applicable in this context? Raw-path? The Rohtrasse is the 'path' of a line in 2 or 3d? It isn't necessarily associated with Track, could be Road or River etc. Maybe it would help to avoid words that imply a specific purpose or type of line (trasse)?

Regards,
Steven.

Roland Ziegler
#89 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

Hello Steven,

"path" sounds good. I think I shall adopt this term.

Thanks, Roland

jpachl
#90 Beitrag von jpachl »

Christian Gründler hat geschrieben:Here are some more goodies...

Übergangsbogen = transition
also: spiral
Überhöhung = cant
also: superelevation
Herzstück = crossing
correct term: frog

Jörn

jpachl
#91 Beitrag von jpachl »

Roland Ziegler hat geschrieben:
Stefan Aussum hat geschrieben:
Bildfahrplan = graphic timetable (?)
better: traffic diagram
Kilometrierung
milage

Jörn

jpachl
#92 Beitrag von jpachl »

Christian Gründler hat geschrieben:I couldn't find the english word for "Blockstelle".
Generally, there is only used the term "block signal".

Jörn

Oliver Lamm
Aktuelle Projekte: Aachen - Neuss für Zusi3
#93 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

also: spiral
Zitat:

Überhöhung = cant

also: superelevation
Zitat:

Herzstück = crossing

correct term: frog
Depends if you are talking BE or AE. The terms mention by Christian are the ones used in British english.

Cheers, Oli
Oliver Lamm
mail(AT)oliverlamm(DOT)de

jpachl
#94 Beitrag von jpachl »

Christian Gründler hat geschrieben:
Manfred Kätzler hat geschrieben:Fahrdienstleiter = station master (as far as I know)
In english literature I found only the word "signalman"; there seem to be no special words for "Fahrdienstleiter" and "Wärter".
The distinction between "Fahrdienstleiter" and "Wärter" is kompletely unknown in the English-speaking world. Same is true for the distinction between "Befehlsstellwerk" and "Wärterstellwerk". In BE, the most appropriate translation of "Fahrdienstleiter" is signalman. A signalman does the work of a "Fahrdienstleiter" but only for his own signalbox.

In North America, the situation is completely different. There, the work of a "Fahrdienstleiter" has always been done by the dispatcher. The dispatcher is not just a traffic regulator (as people sometimes call dispatchers in Europe), he is in charge for safe movement control. Local operators (e.g. on interlocking towers) are in some way only the lengthened arms of the dispatcher to set up routes, clear signals, and transmit orders in compliance with the dispatcher's instructions. Local controllers in the sense of a German "Fahrdienstleiter" or a British signalman never existed. However, big terminals are sometimes separated from the control area of the central dispatcher and controlled by a local controller called a "train director".

The key point that always leads to misunderstandings between the German-speaking and the English-speaking railway world, is that the German "Bahnhof" has no expression in the English-speaking world. Even a translation is impossible. A "Bahnhof" is quite different from the traditional British station limits. The station limits are always associated with a signalbox while a "Bahnhof" is associated with a track layout that may contain several signal boxes. I discussed these problems in my textbook "Railway Operation and Control" which tries to give more generic view on railway operation without concentrating on a national operating philosophy but which cannot ignore the national philosophies completely.

On http://joernpachl.gmxhome.de/glossary.htm I run both an Engish (mainly based on AE but also including a number of BE terms) and a German glossary of railway operation and control. I sometimes tried to put the two glossaries together to build a German-English dictionary. Finally, I came to the conclusion that this is simply impossible. A lot of terms do not have an expression in the other language, while other terms read like a literal translation but mean completely different things. An example is the British term "blocking back" and the German term "zurückblocken" which have a completely different meaning.

I also find it quite impossible to translate texts on railway operation. You can explain railway operation either in German or in English, but you cannot translate the explanations.

Jörn

jpachl
Re: Looking for an appropriate term

#95 Beitrag von jpachl »

Roland Ziegler hat geschrieben:@Native speakers:

Here is a collection of terms I was thinking about:
  • "Raw route" and "raw route editor": Literal translation. The term "Rohtrasse" is not a common one in German, but characterises quite well the nature of it.
  • Simply "route" and "route editor": The features of this editor are too basic to call it a full scale route editor.
  • "Track" and "Track Editor": "Tracking" sometimes seems to be used in the sense of logging or tracing. GPS receivers record "tracks". In that case not quite the same as two rails connected by sleepers.
  • "Line" and "line editor": I kind of like the term "line editor" but in computer lingo, a line editor most often is a text line editor
  • "Polyline editor": too restrictive, as it will handle point objects in the future, too.
  • "drawing editor": maybe, but currently handles polyline objects only.
Any other suggestions or any voting on the terms I picked?
The correct translation of the German term "Trassierung" or "Linienführung" is "track alignment". Maybe this helps to find a suitable term for that function.

Jörn

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
Re: Dictionary

#96 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

Hi, what's the english word for "Befehl" (in the meaning of a written command to the driver)?

Carsten

Thomas B

#97 Beitrag von Thomas B »

Order?
Grüße,
Thomas (eh. ElektrikTrick)

rbode1904
Aktuelle Projekte: Allgäu

#98 Beitrag von rbode1904 »

Instruction?!

tobiro

#99 Beitrag von tobiro »

Im Amerikanischen wird wohl order verwendet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_order_operation. (Wobei es sich hier wohl um eine Form des Zugleitbetriebs handelt. Vielleicht lässt es sich aber trotzdem übertragen :) )

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator

#100 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

"authority" erscheint mir nach etwas Suchen das passendste.

Carsten

Antworten