The first few lines of english docu

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
Gast

The first few lines of english docu

#1 Beitrag von Gast »

Hello folks,

here are the first few lines of the translated Zusi-docu in english ...
I'm not sure ... that's my english is so quite well. Read some lines an write your opinion. I am interested in the techinical terms ... it is correct ?

Ciao Reddi

You can download it under:http://hometown.aol.de/balou5555/drivingsimulator.ZIP

Copy it in the Zusi / Documentation directory and lets get started

Bruce Kennewell
Re: The first few lines of english docu

#2 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

Anonymous hat geschrieben:I am interested in the techinical terms ... it is
Reddi,
Whilst the English can be understood, with some puzzlement in a few places, it is not in "everyday" English as we know it. It is more a literal translation of the German, not a "common usage" translation.

For example, just to use a simple sentence....
"Meanwhile the route is loading, for every landscape-file is shown a progressbar. The overall (or total) loading time can't be displayed very exactly."

I would take this to mean.....
"When a route is loading, it's progress is displayed on a bar. This is only an approximation of the time needed to load the file".

With regard to technical terms, you have shown a table with various files listed and what they mean and there is a reference to "own train".
Does this mean the train that the player has selected?

That whole table is not explained clearly and, as translated, would cause confusion.

Regards,
Bruce.

Oliver Lamm
Aktuelle Projekte: Aachen - Neuss für Zusi3
#3 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

Bruce,

I think this is the point where we need your help and knowledge.

Oli
Oliver Lamm
mail(AT)oliverlamm(DOT)de

Bruce Kennewell
#4 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

I'm only too happy to help in that regard, Oliver.

However, some of the technical expressions will cause me problems, I'm sure, because don't know what the reference is in the first place! :)

Take the table in Reddi's example, for instance; I don't know what the expressions mean so I cannot really figure out what the correct English phrase or terminology may be.

So I'll need someone to explain these sorts of things in order to arrive at the appropriate English.

Regards,
Bruce.

Oliver Lamm
Aktuelle Projekte: Aachen - Neuss für Zusi3
#5 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

Bruce,

one condition to be successful is to be in a consistent dialog between native speakers like you and translators like Reddi. So if you have problems understanding the translation, please talk to the translator or if in general intrest post it here in the community.

A small advise for the translators:
Don't try to translate word by word. First read a paragraph and then rephrase it but keep in mind to retain the content and context to the previous paragraphs.

Oli
Oliver Lamm
mail(AT)oliverlamm(DOT)de

Michael Springer

#6 Beitrag von Michael Springer »

Hello,

yes, thats a problem ... translating word by word ... I try to make it better, but always i came back to the word translation. For myself, i only had six years english at school and thats :) a long time ago and no practice otherwise.

I released the few line so soon, to get a base or and example ... too see, is it a good example or a bad example. So can everybody see it and discuss about.

Next thing, I tried to translate very very near to Carstens original docu. I tried to translate and write only these things, Carsten wrote down. I think, we german people understand this, but when we translate it, it'll be often very confuse. Sometimes or in some phrases we should write additional information for the english users, to give some sentences a sense.

Back to the example from me and Bruce
Reddi: Meanwhile the route is loading, for every landscape-file is shown a progressbar. The overall (or total) loading time can't be displayed very exactly."
Bruce: "When a route is loading, it's progress is displayed on a bar. This is only an approximation of the time needed to load the file".
For german speakers here the original text:
Beim Laden läuft für jede einzelne Landschaftsdatei ein Laufbalken durch. Die Gesamtladezeit läßt so bisher schlecht abschätzen.

Bruce wrote: sinngemäß in deutsch so wie ich denke: ... Es ist nur eine Näherung der benötigten Zeit um die Datei zu laden.

Aus meiner Sicht hat Bruce nen super Satz, aber er trifft nicht genau das gesagte, weil durch die Verküpfungen ja nicht aussagbar ist wieviele Dateien es sind und wie groß.

From my point off view, Bruce writes super, but when we compare the original sentence and his sentence with the sense, i think ist not 100% the right sense. So my translation quality isn't good enough... We will see ...

Bye Michael aka Reddi

Roland Ziegler
#7 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

When a route is loading, it's progress is displayed on a bar. This is only an approximation of the time needed to load the file
"While a route is loading, load progress is shown on a bar for each individual file. The progress bar does not give an indication for the total loading time of the route."

Andreas Karg
#8 Beitrag von Andreas Karg »

I've also begun my work on translation and this is what I've done in the last half hour or so: http://andi.g3th.net/FSTEddieE.txt

Report anything including mass destruction weapons found in my text here.

Roland Ziegler
#9 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

(Anzeige-)Instrument - Gauge

Andreas Karg
#10 Beitrag von Andreas Karg »

Aghl. That's a word I should have found by myself. Gauge.... *g*

Bruce Kennewell
#11 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

AndiK hat geschrieben:....Report anything including mass destruction weapons found in my text here.
Andik, a couple of adjustments:-

"The simplest possibility to create a new ab without bitmaps ......."
"The easiest way to create a new cab without bitmaps........."

"It is recommendable to resize the editor window as big as possible....."
"It is recommended that the editor window be resized to maximum......"

A suggestion to all those who are translating: Could you please format your text in some fashion (DOC or RTF) so that it wraps? It makes it much easier to check rather than chasing it across the screen! :)

Regards,
Bruce.

Andreas Karg
#12 Beitrag von Andreas Karg »

Why don't you use a text viewer (notepad) that wraps? ;) But - okay, I'll use Word from now on. :)

Bruce Kennewell
#13 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

AndiK hat geschrieben:Why don't you use a text viewer (notepad) that wraps? ;)
Good point, Andik! :)

I just click on the link and, naturally, it opens up in another browser window and, nof course, the text isn't wrapped.

But if you do your translation in either HTML or as a Word DOC, it will make it easier in the end to compile all the information without having to convert it.

Just a suggestion.

Regards,
Bruce,

Andreas Karg
#14 Beitrag von Andreas Karg »

I've just uploaded the next snippet of translated documentation. This time it's in Word format. You can get it here! As always, report errors and misspellings here! I've cut out two sentences about DirectX and transparent colours that make no sense and contain (wrong) speculation by Carsten about how DirectX handles transparency. They have no importance to using the cab editor at all.

Bruce Kennewell
#15 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

AndiK hat geschrieben:As always, report errors and misspellings here!
Done.

You can view it on-line HERE.

Only a couple of minor corrections made to grammar, that's all.

Bruce.
Zuletzt geändert von Bruce Kennewell am 22.12.2003 03:01:16, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Antworten