Coordinating the translation of the documentation

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Nachricht
Autor
shangway

#41 Beitrag von shangway »

Thanks Bruce. I just sent it.

shangway

#42 Beitrag von shangway »

Wow, that was quick! Bruce aready published my part on his web page under http://www.netspeed.com.au/bhk/AustRail ... alling.htm

Actaully, I didn't expect it to be linked to Bruce's Zusi page already before some other reviewers had taken a look. I rather thought Bruce could collect some of the documentation on his webpage under a url which is only known to the forum. So that for now, it can be reviewed by Zusians of the forum only and than, whoever is responsible, makes a decision that we take it as an "official" translation.
This raises the question, who makes those decisions and who is responsible. This might even call for a ZDCO (Zusi Documentation Coordination Office), similar to the ZPA. ...or maybe I'm beeing just too german again ;) .
Any thoughts about this from Carsten, Oliver .... ?

And of course any feed back on the translation itself, correctness of content, technical errors or mistakes etc. are highly welcome.

Bruce Kennewell
#43 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

That's easily fixed.
I can make it private if need be but didn't see any reason why this document couldn't go public as it is more to do with the German signalling system, not just Zusi-specific.

Documents relating to Zusi itself I would suggest not be published until they have been checked and authorised.

Let me know.

Bruce.
Zuletzt geändert von Bruce Kennewell am 21.12.2003 08:26:56, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Oliver Lamm
Aktuelle Projekte: Aachen - Neuss für Zusi3
#44 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

As one function of a coordinator I'd like to request the "final reviewing" of a document before beeing published. If a part of the documentation is tranlated and may be checked by a native speaker, please send it to me. I will do an final review of any documentation togethewr with my co-workers here at Metrolink in Manchester.
You may as now why I request on it. That simple.

1. I'will make shure that the document explains everything
- in the right context
- with the correct technical vocabulary

2. I'd like to produce some kind of uniform and consistent document
3. I think Carsten will be happy if he gets a complete documentation at one instead of many single chapters during the next month.

@Bruce:

I have no problem, if you want to publish the translated parts, but please ensure that until the documentation is official only members of the translation project have access to those pages. If you have webspace, you might also want to have a look for a possibility to set up a web based dictionary, Christian Gruendler has already published some links regarding to that topic.

@rest:

I don't want to stop anybody here in his enthusiasm, but as this documentation hopefully will become part of the official "Zusi Suite" it should be done well audited both by native speakers for the kind of translation and the german speakers for the correctness of the content.

Merry Christmas,

Oli
Oliver Lamm
mail(AT)oliverlamm(DOT)de

Bruce Kennewell
#45 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

No problem at all, Oli.
I'll take that page off-line right now.
I will only publish what YOU send me....is that correct?
EDIT: It's still there but any reference and link to it has been removed from the main Zusi page. If you need to access it, use this URL:-
http://www.netspeed.com.au/bhk/AustRail ... alling.htm

Bear in mind that if NOTHING appears in English until the whole translation is completed, there will be little to entice any English-speakers to obtain Zusi.

This is why I feel that it is important to get the English translation of at least the Demo version of the Fahrsimulator part of Zusi done first and published on-line.

Just my opinion, is all.

Bruce.
Zuletzt geändert von Bruce Kennewell am 21.12.2003 20:05:47, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

shangway

#46 Beitrag von shangway »

But I think we should keep the webspace as a kind of "unofficial database", where editors and reviewers have access and can exchange their data. The removal of the link from the main page should be enough to hide it from public eyes.

Andreas Karg
#47 Beitrag von Andreas Karg »

Bruce hat geschrieben:Bear in mind that if NOTHING appears in English until the whole translation is completed, there will be little to entice any English-speakers to obtain Zusi.
Uhm... Weren't the texts of the "Fahrschulmodus" saved in an external file? If that's the case, perhaps at least the driving school could be translated to English as it seems to be impossible to translate the whole software. Carsten wrote somewhere else that he wants to release a current version of the demo sooner or later, perhaps this would be the right opportunity...

Oliver Lamm
#48 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

Bruce hat geschrieben:No problem at all, Oli.
I'll take that page off-line right now.
I will only publish what YOU send me....is that correct?
You can also publish anything other since it's your webspace :)
I just want to be shure, that there will be nothing visible for the general public referenced as the "official version" until released by Carsten.

Bruce hat geschrieben:Bear in mind that if NOTHING appears in English until the whole translation is completed, there will be little to entice any English-speakers to obtain Zusi.
Your website about Zusi is very good and very informative. Also we have this forum now to answer all questions wich might be asked. You may also annonce the beginning of the translation as an initial step by the Zusi community.

But I think we should keep the webspace as a kind of "unofficial database", where editors and reviewers have access and can exchange their data. The removal of the link from the main page should be enough to hide it from public eyes.
full Ack

Uhm... Weren't the texts of the "Fahrschulmodus" saved in an external file? If that's the case, perhaps at least the driving school could be translated to English as it seems to be impossible to translate the whole software. Carsten wrote somewhere else that he wants to release a current version of the demo sooner or later, perhaps this would be the right opportunity...
Perhaps should Carsten comment about an possible integration of english support to the demo.

Oli
Zuletzt geändert von Oliver Lamm am 21.12.2003 20:51:22, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Oliver Lamm

Bruce Kennewell
#49 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

You can also publish anything other since it's your webspace :)
Well, yes, I suppose that's true. :)

Although I do not want to cause any conflict I think that it's worth remembering that I currently have someone translating the documentation as and when they have the opportunity.
This was put into motion when I obtained the Zusi demo....many weeks ago and before I joined this forum and certainly before there was any English-section created.

Although these translations may not be "officially sanctioned", they will still go a long way towards helping English-speakers to get some understanding of Zusi, and I see nothing wrong with that - do you?

I just want to be shure, ....
"Sure". :)

Your website about Zusi is very good and very informative. Also we have this forum now to answer all questions wich might be asked. You may also annonce the beginning of the translation as an initial step by the Zusi community.
Thank you for the compliment.
Links to both the official Zusi site and also to this forum were included (bottom of the first page), as was reference to the fact that the translation is being undertaken.

Regards,
Bruce.
Zuletzt geändert von Bruce Kennewell am 22.12.2003 02:04:49, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Andreas Karg
#50 Beitrag von Andreas Karg »

Bruce hat geschrieben:"Sure".
Don't we all know Old Shurehand? ;)

Arie van Zon
#51 Beitrag von Arie van Zon »

I had lots of time today, so please comment the chapter "Brakes": http://home.planet.nl/~zon00314/zusi/en ... remsen.htm

/Arie (avanzon at planet punkt nl)

Bruce Kennewell
#52 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

Arie van Zon hat geschrieben:I had lots of time today, so please comment the chapter "Brakes"
Arie, I'd be glad to.

If you would like to send me that HTML document together with the images used in it, I can check and edit it and then return a copy with any corrections highlighted.

Email adress is:- bhk@netspeed.com.au

I followed this arrangement with another translator and it worked fine.

Regards,
Bruce.

Oliver Lamm
Update table of contents

#53 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

If you have a look further up this thread you'll find the "toc" of the zusi documentation split into packages for translation.

@Christian: Is it ok for you to do the whole chapter of the "Streckeneditor (route editor)" or should I change it to just the first page ?

@Immo Birnbaum:
May we use your translation for an official release ?

Oli
Zuletzt geändert von Oliver Lamm am 27.01.2004 17:42:45, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Oliver Lamm

ImmoBirnbaum
Aktuelle Projekte: Objektbau in LOD0, Fahrpult, new adventures in VHDL

#54 Beitrag von ImmoBirnbaum »

Sure!

The rest should be finished quite soon after Feb. 4th, that's when my
exams are over for this semester. You can send suggestions for changes
by PM. I could also remove some of the annotations and/or provide the
doc in another format than PDF. As Bruce said, I started working on the
sample route docs before this forum even started, and those are most
likely the only docs I can help with anyway, as I don't have the full
version of Zusi.

MfG
Immo Birnbaum

Christian Gründler

#55 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

@Oliver Lamm: ok; if I break down under the burden, I'll cry for help.

@Immo Birnbaum: I have read the first pages of your translation, which gave me a lot of help for mine (which is a different approach to the same subject as yours). But I thought that you might not be familiar with the Zusi editors: on page 2 you wrote "this element will later contain two tracks...", which is not correct - it will contain two rails which form one track. (I think it is terribly difficult to translate a description for a device one has never seen.) - "Fahrstraße" is route in english; "eine Fahrstraße stellen" means setting a route.

M.f.G. Christian
Zuletzt geändert von Christian Gründler am 27.01.2004 20:45:49, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

Oliver Lamm
#56 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

@Translators:

It is now the end of february and I'd like to get some feedback about the status of the translations. So far I have only received one chapter from Christian (Zusi-Verwaltung).

If there are any chapters fully translated, please send them to me as email. (zipped would be nice)

Oli
Oliver Lamm

Stefan Aussum
#57 Beitrag von Stefan Aussum »

Argh, hatte gerade meine Gedanken wunderbar vorformuliert und jetzt darf ich das auch noch ins Englische übersetzen...

When you'll translate the few words I postet in the dictionary-thread I would be already finish with the chapter of the timetable (Buchfahrplan.htm).

Stefan

Manfred Kätzler
Aktuelle Projekte: 2-facher Vater

#58 Beitrag von Manfred Kätzler »

I've finished about 75% of my translation but in the last few weeks I didn't find the time to go on due to my work. I hope to finish it in the next few days.

Manfred
Fdl BFZ Wolfurt

Arie van Zon
#59 Beitrag von Arie van Zon »

Oliver Lamm hat geschrieben:So far I have only received one chapter from Christian (Zusi-Verwaltung).
?(

/Arie

Oliver Lamm
#60 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

Oliver Lamm hat folgendes geschrieben:
So far I have only received one chapter from Christian (Zusi-Verwaltung).
Tot dusver heb ik slechts één hoofdstuk van Christen ontvangen

Oli (frei nach babelfish) :D
Oliver Lamm

Antworten