Thank you for the "English page"!

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Nachricht
Autor
Bruce Kennewell
Thank you for the "English page"!

#1 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

Thanks very much for creating this location for those of us for whom English is the native tongue.
Much appreciated as it gives us an opportunity to interact and pass on our thoughts and ideas.

Might I ask what may appear to some of you to be the question of an idiot: How much work is involved in providing an English version of the screens, menus, pop-ups etc. that go to make up Zusi? Is it a complicated process to do this?

The more I "play" Zusi the more frustrated I become in not being able to use the editors because I cannot understand the language!

Regards,
Bruce.

Roland Ziegler
#2 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

How much work is involved in providing an English version of the screens, menus, pop-ups etc. that go to make up Zusi?
It depends on the original design. To provide a multilingual environment all text strings need to be located in a single place and be referenced through IDs. Then it quite easy to replace one language resource with another. Carsten has announced to do this for Zusi3. You can also modify existing software, just find all occurrences of strings and centralize them, but this is time consuming and cumbersome. Translating from German to English should not arise layout issues for dialog boxes as English strings are usually shorter than German.

I'm facing the same problem for my route and terrain tools once you folks start seriously in creating routes yourself. 8)

For the time being I would recommend to concentrate on the translation of the documenation. As we have a few volunteers here now I would assume work can start anytime. And, mmh, yes, I would appreciate any help I get for translating the docs of my stuff as well, another serveral dozen pages. :( ;)

Do we already have a coordinator for the translation work?
The more I "play" Zusi the more frustrated I become in not being able to use the editors because I cannot understand the language!
Quite understandable :evil:

Bruce Kennewell
#3 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

Roland, thank you for that explanation.
As you say, translation of the documents and the labelling on screenshots of the menus will help us enormously.

I have, tonight, made my first edit for Zusi! :)
I modified the sounds for one of the SD-45 locomotives in the "Nord Amerika" folder, using appropriate sounds from MS Train Simulator.

So this is a small step for me! :)

Regards,
Bruce.

Bruce Kennewell
#4 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

Roland Ziegler hat geschrieben:
Do we already have a coordinator for the translation work?
I am not bi-lingual so cannot be of use in that area but I am very prepared to help in proof-reading the translated documents to ensure that the spelling and grammar is okay.

Any of the translators who need this service can contact me via e-mail bhk@netspeed.com.au

Regards,
Bruce.
Zuletzt geändert von Bruce Kennewell am 18.12.2003 09:39:52, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Roland Zühlke
Aktuelle Projekte: Eifelstrecke, Abschnitt Gerolstein - Trier
#5 Beitrag von Roland Zühlke »

I was offering my help within the other thread, so I think we should open a new thread! edit: openend here!
Roland Ziegler hat geschrieben:Do we already have a coordinator for the translation work?
Is Carsten able to do that?

@ Bruce: Implementing files from M$TS into Zusi? Autsch!!! ;D

Roland
Zuletzt geändert von Roland Zühlke am 18.12.2003 14:25:27, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Oliver Lamm
Aktuelle Projekte: Aachen - Neuss für Zusi3
#6 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

@Roland Zuehlke:

I don't think Carsten should coordinate this also. He has enough other things to do.

Oli
Oliver Lamm
mail(AT)oliverlamm(DOT)de

Bruce Kennewell
#7 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

Roland Zühlke hat geschrieben:@ Bruce: Implementing files from M$TS into Zusi? Autsch!!! ;D
Well, there are some very good sounds for the SD-45's available from MSTS locomotives and they are far more appropriate than the default Zusi sounds, even though they are excellent. :)

This is one of the reasons why I am longing to get into the editors, so that I can try and create some new (Australian) content for others to enjoy.

Regards,
Bruce.

Christian Gründler

#8 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Dann will ich auch mal ein paar Gedanken beisteuern:

1) Da Zusi 2.4 wohl weiterhin deutsch bleibt, kann mann die Screenshots unverändert benutzen und sollte im Text nur die deutschen Bezeichnungen auf englisch erläutern. Wenn man den ganzen Ordner "Dokumentation" als "Manual" kopiert, muß man auch nicht die Referenzen ändern; die Platzverschwendung ist m.E. nicht so tragisch. Die Bilder von der Fahrdynamik, irgendwelche Formeln, etc. würde ich in einem ersten Schritt auch nicht unbedingt neu machen, sondern nur erläutern.

2) Die kleinste sinnvoll bearbeitbare Einheit ist die einzelne HTML-Datei. Auf dieser Basis sollten wir die Arbeit verteilen, denn die genannten "Kapitel" sind doch recht mächtig. Wichtig ist natürlich, daß alles von den (bisher wohl zwei) "native speakers" gegengelesen wird. Vielleicht kann Oliver auf dieser Basis mal eine Liste machten mit den Einträgen: Dateiname, Übersetzer, Korrektor(en), Status (in Arbeit/fertig).

3) Die Übersetzung der Kapitel zu den Editoren wird sauschwer werden, da den meisten (oder allen?) von uns vermutlich nicht die passenden englischen Vokabeln zu Gebote stehen. Ad hoc würde ich persönlich mir auch nur die Übersetzung (eines Teils) der "Bahntechnik" zutrauen.

Es ist hoffentlich in Ordnung, daß ich dieses hier auf deutsch schreibe, aber da es sich nicht direkt an unsere ausländischen Freunde richtet habe ich keine Lust es auf englisch zu formulieren.

M.f.G. Christian

Roland Zühlke
Aktuelle Projekte: Eifelstrecke, Abschnitt Gerolstein - Trier
#9 Beitrag von Roland Zühlke »

@ Oli: You are pretty right concerning Carsten's acitivity, so thanks a lot for doing the job!

@ Bruce: I guess there is one track in Australia pretty simple to programme ;) . You have the longest track down there going straight (of about 478 km), isn't it?

Roland

Manfred Kätzler
Aktuelle Projekte: 2-facher Vater

#10 Beitrag von Manfred Kätzler »

@ Christian: Es ist schon klar, daß wir uns mit den bahntechnisch spezifischen Ausdrücken nicht leicht tun werden, wenn wir versuchen, die Sache ins Englische zu übersetzen. Es wird sicher auch nicht für jedes Wort eine englische Übersetzung geben. Aber man kann wohl den grundsätzlichen Sinn auch im Englischen wiedergeben.

Manfred
Fdl BFZ Wolfurt

Oliver Lamm
Aktuelle Projekte: Aachen - Neuss für Zusi3
#11 Beitrag von Oliver Lamm »

@Manfred:

Das musste ich auch schon feststellen, als ich mit den Kollegen der Wagenabteilung die Registerkarten im Fahrzeug-Editor abklapperte ...

Oli
Oliver Lamm
mail(AT)oliverlamm(DOT)de

Frank Wenzel
#12 Beitrag von Frank Wenzel »

Roland Zühlke hat geschrieben:@ Bruce: I guess there is one track in Australia pretty simple to programme ;) . You have the longest track down there going straight (of about 478 km), isn't it?
But don't forget the crossings along that signle track line: He will have to place a lot of "Registerpunkte" (i.e. registry points) with the track editor to avoid the final death look, that blocks the hole line. On the other hand, the real timetables are very thin ;D
Gruß ins Forum, Frank - www.zusi-sk.eu - Youtube

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator
#13 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

we have several independent Zusi-topics

- Driving
- Route-design
- Object-design
- Cab-design

Perhaps should concentrate on route-design first - the route-tutorial will be a good starting point, so I would aks the volunteers to translate

Dokumentation\UebungsStreckeBauen1.htm
Dokumentation\UebungsStreckeBauen2.htm

first. Anyone out there ? ;D

Carsten

Daniel Rüscher aka Merlin
Aktuelle Projekte: Aktuell keine
#14 Beitrag von Daniel Rüscher aka Merlin »

Roland Ziegler hat geschrieben: Do we already have a coordinator for the translation work?
In Germany we say: "Immer der, der fragt..." Engl: "The same Person who asks..." :mua

Merrlin

Bruce Kennewell
#15 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

="Roland Zühlke@ Bruce: I guess there is one track in Australia pretty simple to programme ;) . You have the longest track down there going straight (of about 478 km), isn't it?
That's correct, Roland.
It is on the Nullabor Plain, part of the east-west rail-line.
I travelled that route in 1974 on the Indian-Pacific train. Three days from Perth to Sydney. Fabulous trip.

But the line which I want to create is the one crossing the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney - which, co-incidentally, forms part of that east-west line referred to above.

The section that I want to do covers about 110 km, sees a lot of heavy freight, intermodal, coal and also passenger trains. It is electrified (1500 V DC) and I used to travel this line every day between 1976 and 1984.

So please, somebody start translating the editors! :)

Regards,
Bruce.
Zuletzt geändert von Bruce Kennewell am 19.12.2003 04:05:50, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

Roland Ziegler
#16 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

But the line which I want to create is the one crossing the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney - which, co-incidentally, forms part of that east-west line referred to above.
This is a great idea. I guess "Zusians" will like it, a real mountain pass, with double-decker commuter trains. Are you planning to also include the preserved Zig-Zag-Railway?
So please, somebody start translating the editors!
It seems work on that started yesterday. :D

Bruce Kennewell
#17 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

[quote="Roland Ziegler]Are you planning to also include the preserved Zig-Zag-Railway?[/quote]Not initially, Roland.
The topography could probably be modelled, as it is so close to the Main Western Line, but I wasn't going include the Z-Z itself.

And yes, I see that the translation work has started! :)

Pegasus-wtal
Hi Bruce, nice to hear from you again !!

#18 Beitrag von Pegasus-wtal »

I really loved your Australian routes for BVE !!!

And I would really appreciate if you make an Australian Zusi route ! :]

BTW, do you still have a website ?

Peter

Bruce Kennewell
Re: Hi Bruce, nice to hear from you again !!

#19 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

Pegasus-wtal hat geschrieben:I really loved your Australian routes for BVE !!!
And I would really appreciate if you make an Australian Zusi route ! :]
Well, thank you very much for the compliment, Peter. I'm delighted that you enjoyed them.

I have every desire to create a route - or more than one - in Zusi.
You might remember "Heavy Coal" in BVE? That was partly fictional in that its route was not real but it was based on a real line on which I used to travel every day - the Main Western Line across the Blue Mountains west of Sydney.

If the editors are understandable for me, and not too difficult to work with, then I will enjoy creating this route for Zusi.

Yes, I have a website which at the moment is 100% Train Simulator but, as soon as Zusi becomes understandable for we English speakers, I shall be expanding the site to include Zusi.
http://www.netspeed.com.au/bhk/AustRail/

Thanks for your comments.

Regards,
Bruce.
Zuletzt geändert von Bruce Kennewell am 19.12.2003 21:34:09, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Andreas Karg
#20 Beitrag von Andreas Karg »

I remember that route on BVE - it never worked on my machine... After one of these funny click-on-1000-error-messages-sessions there was just one last error message that was different from the others. This one shot the whole simulator. *g*

Antworten