Ersatzsignal

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
Don Johnson

Ersatzsignal

#1 Beitrag von Don Johnson »

Dear friends,

Could you explain me how does "ersatzsignal" work on Deutsche Bahn. I mean how fast can I go and till where? Thanks for your reply.

bottomisenormous

Re: Ersatzsignal

#2 Beitrag von bottomisenormous »

The regular speed on Zs1 is 40 km/h, unless specified otherwise ( might be lower speed ) and usually that speed is valid until the complete length of the train has left the following switch/shunt area. "Specified otherwise" includes a following signal or written order - If in doubt always choose the safe option and stay at 40 km/h max until your train has passed the next main signal at full length.
Zuletzt geändert von bottomisenormous am 23.08.2015 10:04:06, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Carsten Hölscher
Administrator

#3 Beitrag von Carsten Hölscher »

See "Schummelfenster" for the correct speed.

Carsten

Don Johnson

#4 Beitrag von Don Johnson »

What's about block signals (very often on Rheinstrecke). Should I drive entire block till next block signal with max speed 40 km/h?

bottomisenormous

#5 Beitrag von bottomisenormous »

Look at it this way: When a signal is out of order ( which is implemented by Zs1 ) you are obliged to carry on in such a fashion as requires the utmost caution, e.g. that you must be able to stop your train in time under any circumstances. This means you stick to 40 until you can determine the display of the next main signal clearly and unmistakably. If the next signal shows a higher permissable speed than 40 you may free yourself from speed monitoring by using the "Frei" switch after the yellow lamp goes off ( 700m past the last signal ).
But ( there is always a "but" ) if you have been going slower than a certain speed ( depending on the Zugart ) you may have fallen into "restricted" mode, which means that the monitored maximum speed is even lower. ( resticted mode is shown by two blue lamps flashing alternately )
I my be mistaken in my explanation because the issue is safety-sensitive and not trivial in any way.

You probably should give it a few tries with the Schummelfenster as Carsten suggests and see what happens there.

Zimmer
Aktuelle Projekte: Selbst + ständig = selbständig. :D

#6 Beitrag von Zimmer »

Hi Don,

the answers above are maybe a little bit confusing, I'm trying to clarify things for you.

In Germany, each home signal has a so called "adjoining point area" [anschließender Weichenbereich]. The definition of this area depends on the type of the home signal:

> entry signals + intermediate signals: area ends at the next home signal (either an intermediate signal or an exit signal)
> exit signals: area ends after the last point in your route
> block signals of a junction: same as exit signals
> block signals without points: are ends at the very signal.

Therefore, driving a train on special permit (either written order or Signal Zs1 or Zs7) always includes a speed restriction of maximum 40 km/h. If timetable (column 2) or signals along the track (signal Zs 3, Lf-signals) indicate a speed lower than 40 km/h, of course the lower speed indicated is your maximum.

Note: the speed limit is valid until the complete train has passed through the area. If there isn't an area (last case above), you may accelerate not before the whole train has passed that very signal.

Note 2: If the home signal is also a distant signal, the distant aspect most certainly won't be shown. In that case, you have to drive on caution until you can clearly identify the next home signal's aspect. After a distance of 2,000 m you may stop driving on caution.

Passing the signal requires you to press the "LZB/PZB-Befehl" button to avoid an automatic train stop. (Applies only if you're in PZB mode.)

I hope I could help you and kill some confusion.

Best Regards,

Johannes

bottomisenormous

#7 Beitrag von bottomisenormous »

I thought I had explained that, but after having read it again I see that I could have explained a bit further.
It is always difficult when you take some knowledge as "given", because some things may become "self explanatory" which in fact are not.

( my keyboard hates me )
Zuletzt geändert von bottomisenormous am 25.08.2015 19:57:21, insgesamt 4-mal geändert.

Don Johnson

#8 Beitrag von Don Johnson »

Thanks to everyone for your help. Johannes your explanation is perfect, now ersatzsignal doesn`t have secrets ;) Thanks a lot.

Zimmer
Aktuelle Projekte: Selbst + ständig = selbständig. :D

#9 Beitrag von Zimmer »

@ Don: You're welcome :)
@ bottom:That's exactly what I figured out happened. You did great, but sometimes one gets "operational-blind". I know that. :)

Michael_Poschmann
Aktuelle Projekte: Modul Menden (Sauerland)

#10 Beitrag von Michael_Poschmann »

@ Johannes: Organisational blindness may be indicated by three yellow dots, aka as Zs7... :ausheck

Michael

bottomisenormous

#11 Beitrag von bottomisenormous »

:D :tup

Jan

#12 Beitrag von Jan »

Just one tiny nitpick: Instead of home signal, I'd rather use the more generic term main signal. In the UK - and possibly elsewhere as well - a home signal already has a specific meaning which is somewhat comparable to, although not quite the same as a German Einfahrsignal/entrance signal.

Antworten