Dictionary

Hey folks, everyone speaking English may write in this category!
Nachricht
Autor
Roland Ziegler
#41 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

Nichts gegen neue Wortschöpfungen :D. But shouldn't it be either "clattering" or "clacking" here, not "clatting"? :mua

Frank Wenzel
#42 Beitrag von Frank Wenzel »

Hi,
I have found another small dictionary:
Railroad and Model Railroading Dictionary German-English
Gruß ins Forum, Frank - www.zusi-sk.eu - Youtube

Roland Ziegler
#43 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

There are quite a few. I wouldn't rely on those. And often, there is no distinction between brit. and US terms. In this particuar one: An Eilzug is still a semi-fast train for me.

Frank Wenzel
#44 Beitrag von Frank Wenzel »

Roland Ziegler hat geschrieben:... An Eilzug is still a semi-fast train for me...
Halb-Schnellzug? Bild
Gruß ins Forum, Frank - www.zusi-sk.eu - Youtube

Roland Ziegler
#45 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

a semi-fast, not a split train :mua.

Christian Gründler

#46 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Reddi hat geschrieben:Im Auswahldialog kann unten "Weichensound" angeklickt werden. (...) Zur Erstellung von Taktzügen...
Hallo Reddi,

nur Mut zur freien Erklärung! Z.B. "The checkbox "Weichensound" was used for downward compatibility a long time ago and should not be ticked nowadays." - "If you would like to create groups of trains running in fixed intervalls, for example every hour, ...."

Wörtliche Übersetzung bringt meist nichts (außer Kopfschmerzen).

M.f.G. Christian

Vern
#47 Beitrag von Vern »

I believe the Americans use the word "timetable" to describe the book of operating instructions for a particular section of line - i.e. speed restrictions, track diagram, signal positions etc. In the UK that is known as a "Sectional Appendix" and the "timetable" is the document actually listing the times at which the trains run. There is a "Working" timetable for rail staff which shows things like passing times at junctions, where there is make up time for trackwork speed restrictions and a Public timetable which just shows the arrival and departure times at the scheduled stops.

You could almost write a conversion chart for US English to British English.

My favourite is "siding" - in the US it's used to describe what we call a crossing loop on single track routes whereas a siding in UK terms is a stub track used to store rolling stock or in a goods yard to unload freight vehicles.

Roland Ziegler
#48 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

"Working" timetable for rail staff
Possibly "working timetable" is appropriate for "Buchfahrplan".
You could almost write a conversion chart for US English to British English.
There are some B.E./A.E. conversion charts on the net but all that I have seen have been rather short and incomplete.
a siding in UK terms is a stub track used to store rolling stock or in a goods yard to unload freight vehicles.
which is often a "spur" in America.

In my opinion still the best is the "meet" with contradictory meanings in B.E. and A.E., a head-on-collision in B.E. and a safe crossing of trains involving a siding/loop in A.E. :D

JoH

#49 Beitrag von JoH »

With examples like this it seems that we will need a list referencing the AE terms to their BE counterparts. That would allow us to work with BE terms only (used in more countries than the AE terms as argued before in this forum) and anyone not familiar with them could lookup the corresponding AE terms when necessary.

Just imagine someone with AE background reading the part of the manual which explains how signals have to be used to avoid a meet on single-track lines ... :D

Jo

Roland Zühlke
Aktuelle Projekte: Eifelstrecke, Abschnitt Gerolstein - Trier
#50 Beitrag von Roland Zühlke »

Dear friends,

I was looking for the german expression 'Betriebsbahnhof' and I hope, I scored with 'work yard station'.
It is a station not for passengers but for maintenance and storage of trains and locos.

What do you think?

Thanks for help!

Roland

edit: And I still think about 'Zwischensignal'? Amongst signal :rolleyes: ?(
Zuletzt geändert von Roland Zühlke am 13.01.2004 16:45:48, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Arie van Zon
#51 Beitrag von Arie van Zon »

I think, this (UK) applies:

Inner-home signal
Where it is necessary to have two consecutive stop signals within station limits before the station platforms are reached in the normal direction of travel, the second of the stop signals is called the inner home. Where there are more than two home signals, they are usually numbered.

Outer-home signal
Where it is necessary to have two consecutive stop signals within station limits before the platforms are reached, the first one reached in the normal direction of travel is called the "outer-home signal".

/Arie

Roland Ziegler
#52 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

Betriebsbahnhof : simply yard or maybe depot, the latter more a BW. Again, all suggestions subject to native speaker review.

Bruce Kennewell
#53 Beitrag von Bruce Kennewell »

Roland Zühlke hat geschrieben:What do you think?
I would suggest "Maintenance Yard" or "Service Depot".

Here in Oz the term "sheds" is also used to refer to those under-roof locations where passenger stock - is stored and serviced.

(I worked with a mate who occassionally ended up in Hornsby "sheds" on the last train out of Sydney on a Friday night after we'd been out having a "few beers" after work! Happy days! :D )

Bruce.

Christian Gründler

#54 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

I couldn't find the english word for "Blockstelle". It means the end of a block section and start of the next one (between stations or junctions, therefore without points). In the early days of railways there was a signalbox at this place, but nowadays normally isn't.)

BTW:

(Vorsignal = distant signal)
Hauptsignal = stop signal

Einfahrsignal = home signal
Zwischensignal = inner home signal (in this case the Einfahrsignal is called outer home signal)
Ausfahrsignal = starting signal

If I'm not mistaken, in Great Britain distant signals do exist only in connection with (outer) home signals. To prevent a train from overrunning a starting signal, the home signal must not be cleared before an approaching train has slowed down.

(All these informations according to the "BR Signalling Handbook" by Stanley Hall (Ian Allan Publishing, 1992)).
Zuletzt geändert von Christian Gründler am 27.01.2004 15:11:31, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Christian Gründler

#55 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Here are some more goodies...

Übergangsbogen = transition
Überhöhung = cant
Überhöhungsfehlbetrag = cant deficiency
Herzstück = crossing
Schienenauszug = adjustment switch

...and one question: what is an "Absteckrechner" ?( . Rooooooooooooland :rolleyes:

Roland Ziegler
#56 Beitrag von Roland Ziegler »

Herzstück is known as "frog" to me. I thought "crossing" was A.E.

For my tools I don't think it makes any sense to translate all names literally. So I came up with these translations:
Streckenkonverter -> route converter
Gelaendeformer -> terrain shaper
Absteckrechner -> track surveyor
Zuletzt geändert von Roland Ziegler am 30.01.2004 18:55:09, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Christian Gründler

#57 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Roland Ziegler hat geschrieben:Herzstück is known as "frog" to me. I thought "crossing" was A.E.
Hello Roland,

all expressions aforementioned I found on the Railway Technical Web Pages, therefore I suppose they are B.E.

M.f.G. Christian

Vern
#58 Beitrag von Vern »

Under UK "absolute block" signalling, the distant can only be cleared if all associated stop signals are also clear - i.e. the home and starter (section) signals.

Christian Gründler

#59 Beitrag von Christian Gründler »

Does anybody know what a "Weichenlaterne" is in English?

To those not understanding German: I refer to those little signals at points which indicate in which direction those points are set. (Maybe they do not exist outside central europe.)

Kind regards,
Christian

Arie van Zon
#60 Beitrag von Arie van Zon »

These signals are called "points indicator signal".

For signalling, I recommend The Signal Box http://www.signalbox.org/

/Arie

Antworten